[EM] PR favoring racial minorities

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Fri Aug 22 06:08:42 PDT 2008

Raph Frank wrote:
> On 8/22/08, Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>  In Finland where the number of candidates is relatively high some less
>> obvious candidates may have some trouble getting in to the lists but on the
>> other hand some well known figures (that have become popular (and respected)
>> in other areas than politics) tend to get offers from multiple parties to
>> join their lists (even as an independent candidate on their list, without
>> becoming formally a party member).
>
> Would they be expected to vote with the party if they do end up getting elected?
> Is the theory that they will pull in more than 1 seat's worth of
> votes, so it is worth
> having them on the list no matter what they do?
>
> Under PR-STV, the whole vote management thing means that parties cannot
> just let their candidates run completely independent campaigns and also that
> the number of candidates run must be controlled based on tactical
> considerations.

Fortunately, that isn't a limitation to party-neutral multiwinner
methods in general - not any more than single-winner strategic
nomination due to a method failing independence of clones is a
limitation of single-winner methods in general.

If I understand Schulze's STV method correctly, it calculates vote
management strengths and so does vote management on behalf of the voter
and on all candidates. I may be wrong, though, and Schulze STV uses a
very large amount of memory for elections with many candidates and
winners. Still, it shows the possibility of having a method that resists
vote management.