[EM] [Election-Methods] [english 94%] PRfavoringracialminorities

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 15:33:25 PDT 2008

On Aug 21, 2008, at 2:50 , Raph Frank wrote:

> In Ireland, the PR-STV system can lead to hostility between local
> members
> of a party as often the only way to get elected is to win a seat at
> the expense
> of another party member.

I guess practically all methods with multiple candidates have some of
this flavour. Maybe the tendency to work together within a party
(=smile more than the competing candidate) and be more hostile
towards the candidates of other parties is more common though.

> In that proposal, exhausted ballots were held by the
> last candidate to hold them.  They weren't just dropped.

I could accept also methods where the voting power of each
representative is different. The good part is that such a parliament
would reflect the wishes of the voters more accurately than a
parliament where all the representatives have the same voting power.
Maybe one could force the voting power of different candidates within
some agreed range. That could be done by cutting only the power of
the strongest representatives and forwarding their excess votes to
the nearest group (or as indicated by the STV ballots).

Juho