[EM] [Election-Methods] [english 94%] PR favoring racialminorities

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 14:18:09 PDT 2008

On Aug 18, 2008, at 20:23 , James Gilmour wrote:

>> I think a system that requires people to rank 10-20+
>> candidates is going to run into trouble.
>
> I don't see why there should be such large numbers of candidates in
> real public elections with modestly sized electoral districts.

In the last parliamentary elections I had 179 candidates to choose
from. This district elected 18 of the 200 representatives. The
population of the district is maybe somewhat below 500,000.

Having many candidates is good from the point of view that then the
decisions on who will be elected will be genuinely made by the
voters. The 179 candidates above include also many candidates that
are not likely to be elected (there are e.g. some parties that
probably will not get any of their candidates elected), but often it
is hard to guess beforehand which candidates will get lots of votes.

Note also that candidates may "grow" in this system. Getting many but
not enough votes this time may mean that in the next elections one
will be seen as a much more potential winner.

Juho