[EM] Incorporating slates into STV (was: PRfavoringracialminorities)

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 18:17:02 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:16 AM, Aaron Armitage
<eutychus_slept at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm also stuck with plurality, and I agree entirely that plain-vanilla STV
> s a vast improvement

Right.  Whatever PR-STV's flaws, they are minor compared
to plurality.

> If we wants slates that run as teams and are voted on, and also the
> ability to single out a single candidate on a slate, the easiest way I can
> think of would be to abandon the transferable vote altogether and use a
> different mechanism. We would generate every possible assembly and compare
> them one-on-one, Condorcet style. The comparison would ignore those
> candidates who receive seats in both outcomes, and compare only the seats
> filled by different people. We give each seat a "weight" of 1, and both
> outcomes divide the weight of each seat evenly among the voters who prefer
> that outcome's winner over the alternative. The potential assembly that
> spreads its "weight" most evenly wins the comparison. It wouldn't be that
> simple, of course: if there are fifty differences between two outcomes,
> which ones are we actually comparing? But I just thought of this today.

I think you are aiming for CPO-STV.  This is a condorcet based
STV method and IIRC it meets Droop proportionality.

The way it works is that it has a metric for comparing any
2 possible outcomes to say which outcome wins and by how
much.  This can then be plugged into any standard condorcet
method.

Only candidates who hit the
quota *and* are in both outcomes have their surplus transferred.
This may cause some other candidate to hit the quota and
have their surplus transferred too.

The theory is that there is no point in transferring
surplus from a candidate who is in only one outcome
as that voter would want their full weight voting for that
outcome and it doesn't matter which candidate in the
outcome has the vote.

No candidates are eliminated and the score
for each outcome is equal to the sum of the votes
held by each candidate in that outcome.

E.g. if there was 2 outcomes being considered
A,B,C and C,D,E and after the first count the results were

Quota = 100