[EM] [Election-Methods] [english 94%] PR favoringracialminorities

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sun Aug 17 15:46:02 PDT 2008

Juho  > Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2008 10:29 PM
> Maybe the interesting question is if voters mark sufficiently many
> candidates so that their vote is not "lost".
>
> Are there any statistics from real STV-PR elections on how many votes
> (sum of fragments) run out of candidates during the counting process?

You'll find some relevant information in this ERS report "Scottish Local Government Elections 2007  -  Report and Analysis by Lewis
Baston".
   http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/downloads/Scottishlocalgovernmentreport.pdf

You'll find some more info in the papers presented at "STV One Year On"
  http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/article.php?id=143

including Lewis Baston's PowerPoint presentation:
  http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/downloads/Lewis_local_elections_June%2012.ppt

I have started an analysis of "represented voters" and "wasted votes" using the ballot data for Glasgow City Council.  This work is
on hold at present, but it was prompted by colleagues in British Columbia who are faced with the "wasted vote" gibe about the
runner-up's votes.

You'll find the full ballot data for Glasgow (21 wards = local government electoral districts) in BLT (preference profile) format
at:
  http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/YourCouncil/Elections_Voting/Election_Results/ElectionScotland2007/LGElectionResults.htm
For each ward, take the "Full Results" link and download the zipped folder.  The BLT file is the first file in each zipped folder.

NB The voters were constrained by 3- and 4-member wards and by three of the larger parties nominating only one candidate in many
wards.

James

Checked by AVG.