[EM] [Election-Methods] [english 94%] PR favoring racialminorities

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 08:53:58 PDT 2008

Some more observations on the benefits of minority representation
(and problem too).

It is much easier to make decisions against the interests of some
minority when they are not in the room when compared to the situation
where they sit in the room and give comments on the proposals.

The minority can negotiate. If not about winning the election, at
least on the conditions to approve the proposal in public.

Sometimes small parties may also get disproportional power, e.g. when
the sizes of the parties are 49%, 49% and 2%. But in practice this is
probably not very often a problem. The large parties soon learn how
to play the game without giving too much power to the small party.
Also the small party must in most cases be sincere and not just play
games.

If supermajority rules are used that means that having a minority
smaller than 50% is sometimes crucial.

If the minority would not be represented who else should be there? If
there are e.g. three groupings that are all minorities should we
eliminate one of them and give all their seats to the two biggest
ones (biggest minorities)?

This discussion also made me wonder what the election reform
activists in the two-party countries see as the ideal system for them.

Would it still consist of single seat districts? (with some election
method that would sometimes also outside the two largest parties) Or
would it have full proportional representation?

Would the government still be typically a one party government? Maybe
nominated by a winner of a single winner election, e.g. the
president. Or would the government be typically a multiparty
government (formed e.g. based on negotiations between parties after
the elections)? Note also that the now typical majority status of the
largest party might be typically gone if there were more than two
parties, so one party may not be enough to form a viable government.

Juho