[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 21:01:40 PDT 2008

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:17:49 -0700
> From: "rob brown" <rob at karmatics.com>
> Subject: Re: [EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines
> The "two strikes you are out" rule is not inherent to machine voting -- that
> is fixable, obviously.

How?  Do we want an infinite loop of a voter running paper through a
cheap printer trying to obtain an accurate ballot record and the
machine refusing to print one while it switches a vote wrongly?  Or do
we want the voter to be able to cancel the ballot and let the poll
workers know that he needs a paper ballot instead that he can mark
himself?  If so, why not let the voters vote on a paper ballot to
begin with?

Any ideas?

> Regardless, are you suggesting that a programmer could steal an election by
> just hoping that that every one of the people who had it fail twice in a row
> is going to simply say "oh well" and go home, rather than raise holy hell
> about it?

No. Obviously it is trivially easy for any programmer of a voting machine to:

a. make the printed ballot record match an erroneous e-ballot record
on the voters first try

b. in the 10% of cases when a voter notices the error on the paper
ballot and cancels the ballot, the programmer than makes the paper
printout and the electronic record match exactly what the voter wants.

Recall that I said that the programmer would only be able to switch up
to 90% of the target votes without any audit able to detect it.

The voter would either think that he must have made a mistake on the
first try, or complain about his vote being switched.

We have already seen hundreds or thousands or cases of voters in the
last two election cycles complaining that their votes have been
switched to the wrong candidates with DREs and election officials have
mostly ignored the problem or chalked it up to "touchscreen
callibration" problems (which does cause similar behavior)

> As a programmer myself, I can tell you that any non-stupid (but evil)
> programmer would have it do it correctly the second time....I mean, you know
> they are looking that time, so why push your luck for one vote?  So the "2
> strikes and you're out", silly as it may be, is hardly the issue.

Huh?

I mentioned TWO SEPARATE ISSUES:

1. the programming hack that can switch 90% of target votes without
audits being able to detect it.

2. the 2 strikes you're out rule that *all* DREs currently use today
that prevents even the 10% of diligent voters who detect errors in
their paper printed records from being able to generate a correct
machine-printed paper ballot record.

If you prefer not have *any* paper ballot record, then ofcourse there
is no way to check the accuracy of the machine counts independent of
the programming.

> I can also tell you that much of the issue here is far out of the field of
> computer science, and is more in the area of sociology/psychology with a
> little game theory and economics thrown in.

Really?  OK, but *all* independent computer scientists (that I know)
oppose the use of e-ballot voting systems for very solid logically
correct reasons.

It is true that e-ballots with machine printed paper records *might*
work (although still expensive and subject to DOS attacks) *IF* you
could train all voters and election officials and poll workers
adequately how to handle doing elections with them, but that seems
like a very remote possibility unless you want to begin lessons in how
to use e-ballot paper trail voting systems in grammar school as a
course and have paper ballots as backup available in every polling
location and train pollworkers and voters to recognize when the
machines look like vote fraud may be going on, etc.  Human factors
must be considered realistically.

> I don't disagree that there are problems with machine voting, some easier to
> fix than others.  (a paper trail is an absolute necessity, for instance, as
> is open source code)

Again, virtually all *independent* computer scientists who are voting
system experts disagree with you and believe that voter-marked paper
ballots are essential and that "paper trails" are inadequate as I've
tried to explain some of their flaws here.

> Still I think you are blowing things out of
> proportion  -- to a large enough degree that your propoganda has pulled me
> out of my typical lurk mode on the list.

Well using words like "propaganda" and "blowing things out of
proportion" are very skillful ways to try to discount real facts, but
do not impress me, or most people as much as concrete facts do.

>> Shamos is considered a rogue among computer scientists and I am fairly
>> certain that Shamos does not have any degree in computer science, as
>> is true of most "experts" who support DREs.
>>

> And I am fairly certain that you didn't spend two minutes researching, as
> you'd have easily found that he does indeed have a phD in computer science
> from Yale.  Which gives me one more reason to suspect the facts you
> present.  (don't take this as an endorsement of what Shamos says, just a
> reaction to your logically and factually unsound propaganda)

OK. I am mistaken on that point then. Thank you for correcting me.

It still remains true though, that Michael Shamos is considered a
rogue computer scientist and that Michael Shamos financially profits
handsomely by certifying DRE voting systems for the state of PA which
can not be shown to be inaccurate since they are paperless and there
is no software independent method to audit their output.

Again, I know of *no* PhD computer scientist who does not profit from
VVV who supports e-ballot voting machines.

Cheers,

Kathy

> [...]
>
> ANY SYSTEM can be assumed to be inaccurate if it lacks a routine
> method for detecting and correcting errors that is independent of the
> software. Since voting is much more difficult to secure than banking
> due to the secret ballot, the only method of providing software
> independence is a paper ballot.
>
> You certainly would not expect me to deposit my vote anonymously
> without a receipt into a bank, so why would anyone want me to use such
> an insane method for voting which would make it trivially easy for any
> insider to alter the election outcomes undetectably?
>

>> For one Crane author, Edward Cherlin, I read of working on affordable
>> software and hardware for voting around the world.
>>     Hopefully he is intending such to be adequate.
>
> Many good folks are working on affordable, open source optical scan
> voting equipment because most of today's optical scanners are also
> hackable junk.
>
> As Ion Sancho of Florida said (paraphrased), "It will take a long time
> to fix our voting systems, in the meantime we need to push for
> AUDITS."
>

>> Do not know if such a degree was available when I was in college -
>
> How long ago were you in college? Computer science degrees have been
> around since atleast 1969 and I believe long before then.  That's when
> I took my first computer science course. I have a couple of friends
> who learned to program when they had to hard wire computers to program
> them.
>

>>  could not
>> have learned much presently usable.
>
> I first programmed with punch-cards.
>
>> Remember a tidbit about weather
>> forecasting.  Could give a computer data to predict for tomorrow - by the
>> time program was done you could look out the window and see if it got it
>> right.
>
> :-) Well that used to be true, but weather prediction programs are
> much more sophisticated and faster nowadays.
>
>>     Remember a problem later at work - too much data for Fortran to fit in
>> available memory.
>
> It is easy to overrun computer memory  with data and programming
> instructions, depending on the application and the skill (or lack of
> it) of the programmer. I would imagine that the new weather programs
> take a huge amount of memory to run.
>
>> Heard of a new language - Jovial.  Available staff was
>> engineers who could hardly spell "program" and assembly programmers who
>> could hardly spell "compiler".  I successfully installed compiler and taught
>> staff for project to use.
>>     Later - task could not execute in available time - invented new, faster,
>> instructions then used in available computers.
>
> Yes, well the Internet was invented so that various researchers could
> use others' faster computers at different locations to run
> long-running programs.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kathy

> End of Election-Methods Digest, Vol 50, Issue 15

Kathy Dopp

The material expressed herein is the informed product of the author
Kathy Dopp's fact-finding and investigative efforts. Dopp is a
Mathematician, Expert in election audit mathematics and procedures; in
exit poll discrepancy analysis; and can be reached at

P.O. Box 680192
Park City, UT 84068
phone 435-658-4657

http://utahcountvotes.org
http://electionmathematics.org
http://electionarchive.org

How to Audit Election Outcome Accuracy
http://electionarchive.org/ucvAnalysis/US/paper-audits/legislative/VoteCountAuditBillRequest.pdf

History of Confidence Election Auditing Development & Overview of
Election Auditing Fundamentals
http://electionarchive.org/ucvAnalysis/US/paper-audits/History-of-Election-Auditing-Development.pdf

Voters Have Reason to Worry
http://utahcountvotes.org/UT/UtahCountVotes-ThadHall-Response.pdf