[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 16:47:05 PDT 2008

> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:16:29 -0400
> From: Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com>
> Subject: [EM] Why We Shouldn't Count    Votes with Machines

> ballots have problems, and do not consider fixing the DREs.

As virtually all (all I know) independent computer scientists (who do
not profit from certifying or working for VVV's - vulture voting
vendors)  agree, it is *not* possible to "fix" DREs because their
fundamental design is flawed. I.e. Any machine cast or machine printed
record of ballots is not going to work.

The flaws of DRE paper roll ballot printers include (there is a much
longer list):

Studies show that fewer than 30% of voters check machine-printed paper
ballot roll records and fewer than 30% of voters who check (or about
10% of all voters) accurately proofread their machine-printed paper
ballot roll records to detect any errors, so that a programmer can
switch up to 90% of available target votes in a way that no audit can
detect.  Also there is a "two strikes and you are out" rule that
prevents the most diligent voter from having a machine-printed paper
ballot record that matches the voter's choices.  A voter can only
cancel ballot casting twice due to an incorrect printed paper roll
record. On the third try, the voter receives an error message on the
screen warning that the voter has only one more chance to cast their
ballot.  On the third try, the paper roll ballot record whizzes
quickly inside the canister WITHOUT GIVING THE VOTER A CHANCE TO SEE
THE PAPER RECORD!

--

Any machine-printed paper ballot record will have the same flaws, and
electronic video, audio, or pictorial verification systems are even

Shamos is considered a rogue among computer scientists and I am fairly
certain that Shamos does not have any degree in computer science, as
is true of most "experts" who support DREs.

The persons who rebutted Shamos' articles *do* have formal training
and degrees in computer science.

Cheers,

Kathy