[EM] Can someone point me at an example of the nonmonotonicity of IRV?

rob brown rob at karmatics.com
Sun Aug 10 01:07:01 PDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Kathy Dopp <kathy.dopp at gmail.com> wrote:

> > From: "rob brown" <rob at karmatics.com>
> > Subject: Re: [EM] Can someone point me at an example of the
> >        nonmonotonicity of IRV?
>
> > Are you aware that in going to a doctor to treat an injury, you can get
> in a
> > car accident and get injured some more?  Why would anyone go to a doctor
> if
> > doing so can actually make your health WORSE?
>
> OK. So you are saying we must use voting methods where voting for our
> FIRST-Choice candidate as our LAST Choice helps our first choice
> candidate win, and when I go to the polls I have no idea if that is
> true or false because "I might get into an accident when I drive to
> the doctor when I'm sick?
>
> I must have fallen down the rabbit hole when I joined this list.

What?

My point, which you have managed to spectacularly mangle, is that you are
ranting about something that is possible, but highly unlikey.  You seem to
be obsessed with the non-zeroness of the possibility, rather than putting it
in a reasonable, balanced perspective.

I am *not* paralyzed. I have DECIDED that I IRV voting is an insane
> voting method that would cause much more havoc with voting systems.

I am not talking about the decision of what voting method you, or any
election method advocate, prefer.  I am talking about the decision a voter
makes when filling out a ballot, given a method.

But I think you knew that.