[EM] [Election-Methods] Can someone point me at an example of the nonmonotonicity of IRV?

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Thu Aug 7 09:55:49 PDT 2008

Terry Bouricius wrote:
> Kathy,
>
> On the monotonicity criterion and IRV. IRV does indeed fail the most
> common definition of the monotonicity criterion, as do two-round runoffs
> and all other methods (I believe) that satisfy the later-no-harm
> criterion. It is a trade off ... Which is more important in the real
> world, monotonicity or later-no-harm. Different experts have different
> opinions on that.

Just a note in passing: if you judge electoral methods just by whether
they fulfill monotonicity or LNHarm, then you should pick Descending
Solid Coalitions, which passes both.

In practice, though, DSC can give weird results; Chris Benham showed one
in particular. What the existence of DSC does show is that it's possible
to make a method that passes both monotonicity and LNHarm.

Plurality also technically passes both of the LNH criteria, as well as
monotonicity. When I said that was impossible in an earlier post, I
implicitly assumed one would want mutual majority, which Plurality
fails. To pass mutual majority, if there's a group of candidates that a
majority prefers to those not in the group, then the system should
always pick a candidate within that group.