[Election-Methods] [Fwd: Re: [RangeVoting] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines]

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 15:28:32 PDT 2008

FYI,

Here is an excellent rebuttal to the very flawed arguments of Michael
Shamos that was done years ago by computer scientists:

http://www.verifiedvoting.org/downloads/shamos-rebuttal.pdf

> Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 08:22:00 -0400
> From: Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com>
> Subject: [Election-Methods] [Fwd: Re: [RangeVoting] Why We Shouldn't
>        Count   Votes with Machines]
>
> Thank you!  Shamos, while long, is well worth studying!
>
> Are there any useful responses?
>

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 19:50:17 -0400 Rick Carback wrote:
>  > The problem with hand counting is that it is not always clear that the
>  > record tabulated was the record generated by voters.

And with machine counting we KNOW that the record tabulated was not
generated by voters but by the machine programming.

>  > faithfully. You might want to read and respond to Shamos:
>  >
>  > http://euro.ecom.cmu.edu/people/faculty/mshamos/paper.htm

Cheers,

Kathy