[Election-Methods] strategic voting and strategic nomination

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 06:55:09 PDT 2008

James Green-Armytage> Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2008 1:10 AM
>> Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au> writes:
>> In Ireland it is used to elect the President. The Irish lower
>> house uses multi-winner STV.  UK mayoral elections mostly use
> >the  "Supplementary Vote". From Wikipedia:
>
> Ah, my mistake. Thank you for the corrections. I think that I
> just tried to copy that information from the wikipedia page
> on IRV, but perhaps I did a sloppy job (or is that page wrong?).

The information about the Supplementary Vote is correct on this Wikipedia page:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contingent_vote#Supplementary_Vote

"Supplementary Vote
Under the Supplementary Vote, voters express a first and second choice of candidate only, and, if no candidate receives an absolute
majority of first choice votes, all but the two leading candidates are eliminated and the votes of those eliminated redistributed
according to their second choice votes to determine the winner. The Supplementary Vote is currently used in all elections for
directly elected mayors in England, including the Mayor of London."

Note in particular that SV is used in ALL elections for directly elected mayors but only in ENGLAND, not elsewhere in the UK. (There
are NO directly elected mayors elsewhere in the UK.)

JG-A
> Okay; I can point out that these elections use supplementary
> vote, which can be viewed as a variant on IRV.

The Supplementary Vote can be viewed in this way, but we have seen such descriptions confuse electors in the recent London
elections.  (I sent correcting messages to several bloggers and journalists.)  It might be more appropriate to liken the
Supplementary Vote to "Top-Two Run-off without knowing who the 'top two' will be".  That is not really a special case of IRV or the
Alternative Vote, but it is a particular (peculiar) application of preferential voting.

James Gilmour

Checked by AVG.