[Election-Methods] Clone related problems in Range/Approval

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 20 11:31:01 PDT 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 7:20 , Dave Ketchum wrote:

> Teaching avoiding bullet voting is proper and seems doable.  I
> choke on
> guessing what the apparent bullet voter might have meant.

The worst case might be one where party that is about to win has 10
candidates but people don't know which one of these 10 is strongest.
If many enough people do not rank all 10 there may be also votes
where the best candidate of that party is not ranked. The "second
best candidate" is from another party. Now these voters fail to
indicate preference and the "second best candidate" might win because
of this.

But I admit that this threat of not ranking sufficiently many
candidates of one's own party is not one of the most severe problems,
and it may well be that it will have no major impact on anything in
most practical elections.

Juho