[Election-Methods] Clone-related problems (was Re: Clone related problems in Range/Approval)

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Apr 19 08:49:43 PDT 2008

Hi,

I agree with Mr. Lomax that parties' main purpose is to coordinate
campaigns, if he means coordinating the *votes* by assembling a
coalition large enough either to win or to elect a "lesser evil"
compromise that defeats a "greater evil."  Given traditional plurality
rule or top two runoff or Instant Runoff or many other methods, parties
fail to coordinate a large enough coalition if they nominate more than
one candidate per office. (Borda has the reverse problem.  It would
cause nomination of a huge number of inferior clones.)

However, I don't agree that parties would continue to nominate no more
than one candidate if the voting method reduces spoiling so much that
when spoiling occurs the winner is similar to the candidate who
otherwise would have won.  This is what I believe the occasional
spoiling would be like with a voting method that tends to elect centrist
compromises, since it would create a strong incentive for candidates who
want to win to take similar (centrist) positions on the issues.
(Candidates would be concerned that if they take a minority position on
an issue, some candidate X could take a majority-preferred position on
that issue and identical positions on the other issues, so that a
majority would prefer X.)

Mr. Lomax' concern that a huge increase in the cost of campaigning would
result if a party nominates more than one candidate is legitimate but I
think it's very speculative.  Here are some counterarguments.  First, by
canceling or shortening the primary elections there would be an
immediate savings of money. (Consider how much money Clinton, Obama and
Edwards spent--and continue to spend--after the Democrat contenders were
winnowed down to three.)

Second, I believe there will be resonance in the voters' minds when
multiple candidates advocate similar policies and make similar
criticisms of other parties' candidates, even if the co-partisan
candidates are limited by having to share a fixed amount of campaign
money.  Imagine a debate pitting three against one, even if the one is
granted time to repeat himself.

Another counterargument is that nominating multiple candidates makes it
more expensive to attack them all (assuming they don't attack each other
fratricidally).  Even if the cost of campaigning does increase
significantly, it will be offset by the cost of attacking them all.

Parties could adopt rules to minimize fratricidal attacks.  The parties
control a significant amount of campaign money (donations to the party
rather than to individual candidates).  They could spend it on
coordinated ads.  Or they could award it to attacked candidates and deny
it to attacking candidates. (Perhaps the Democratic super-delegates
could do something similar now to induce Clinton and Obama to be nicer
to each other and campaign against McCain, by indicating they will vote
for the one who campaigns most against McCain between now and the
convention.)

I don't believe Mr. Lomax' example about how much money Clinton and
Obama are spending against each other is strong.  Clinton and Obama are
not running against McCain yet, they are running primarily against each
other. (Sorry about the pun.)  Their short term goal is to be nominated.

Mr. Lomax's point about reduction of negative campaigning against
similar candidates appears to undermine his argument about Clinton &
Obama, who are similar to each other.

If the voting method will tend to elect centrist compromise candidates,
it won't matter if non-centrist parties nominate only one candidate.
Politicians who want to win will position themselves as centrist
compromises.  Furthermore, if parties nominate only one candidate, other
candidates can run as independents and would choose to do so if they
believed they would win or not worsen the outcome.  One example I've
written about is the 2000 U.S. Presidential election, when McCain could
have won running as an independent against Gore and Bush if the voting
method had been better.  Most Gore supporters preferred McCain over
Bush, most Bush supporters preferred McCain over Gore, and I believe
enough voters (about 15%) preferred McCain over both Gore and Bush to
make him the sincere Condorcet winner.  Rod Kiwiet of Caltech told me a
few years ago he agreed McCain was the sincere Condorcet winner.

{Going off on a tangent here}  When Rod agreed about McCain, it was
right after he'd conducted a pairwise poll that showed Arnold
Schwarzenegger was sincere Condorcet winner in the election that
recalled California Governor Gray Davis.  A goal of the poll was to
check whether the public's political pairwise preferences really are
transitive (IF A>B AND B>C THEN A>C) which Rod said had been assumed by
political scientists but never checked.  {End of tangent}

There's an old adage about not putting all one's eggs in one basket.
Much less information about the public's election day preferences is
available during nomination season than closer to election day.  By
nominating only one candidate, the party can fail to nominate the one
who can win.

Finally, returning to the issue of the cost of campaigning and whether
it could sharply limit the number of nominees, let me remind readers
about some properties of the VPR family of voting methods:

    Voting for a Published Ranking
    Prior to election day, each candidate publishes a ranking
    of the candidates.  On election day, each voter selects one
    candidate. (What could be simpler?)  Each vote is replaced
    by the ranking published by the voter's selected candidate.

Assume for this discussion that the algorithm VPR uses to tally the
rankings doesn't suffer from Borda's awful "inferior clones" problem and
that one of the following conditions is true:

    1. The algorithm elects within the top cycle.

    2. The votes are published, then each candidate may choose to
    withdraw from all the rankings before the rankings are tallied.
    (Candidates can withdraw to elect a compromise and defeat
    a greater evil.)

As I've written previously, I believe much less campaign money would be
needed for good compromise candidates to win given VPR.  Their main goal
would be persuading other candidates to rank them higher than those
considered worse by these other candidates (or by these other
candidates' "significant others": big donors & influential supporters).
It's theoretically possible a good compromise candidate could win even
if no one voted for her (just as it's theoretically possible a candidate
can win given many other voting methods even if no one ranks or rates
her topmost).  Surely it will be much less expensive to get no votes (or
a few) than to get enough voters to vote a candidate high enough to win
given a non-VPR method.

VPR would also mitigate Mr. Lomax' concern that too many candidates on
the ballot would confuse too many voters.  He expects voters could
competently select favorites when many candidates are on the ballot.
Given VPR, selecting favorites would be more than sufficient.

Regards,
Steve