[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Sat Apr 19 05:44:24 PDT 2008

Good Morning, Juho

re: "Good rules, voting methods etc. are there waiting to be discovered
and generally approved."

And that is what we are attempting in this discussion.

We are trying to learn from our mistakes.  We have no shortage of
lessons, whether of ideologies suppressing ideologies, nations
dominating nations, tribes slaughtering tribes, or of religions
exterminating religions.  They teach us that antagonism begets
antagonism.  We are learning the dangers of political systems based on
partisanship.

We are seeking an alternative to such discord.  We are trying to
overcome the childishness of getting our own way by building massive
armies, whether of voters or of soldiers.  When we grasp the futility of
trying to dominate our fellow man, we can put our minds to
de-emphasizing our partisan differences.  We can employ our reason to
devise an electoral method that empowers the best of our people rather
than the worst.

re: "(I need to add here that in addition to fighting against the rules
of jungle we need to fight against the growth of bureaucracy (and
excessive control of the system) too. In the US set-up this seems to be
particularly relevant due to the discussions on the required strength of
Washington.)"

Bureaucracy is an outgrowth of partisanship.  Politicians make jobs for
their supporters, like the former public official in New Jersey (and
candidate for the U. S. Senate) who pled guilty "to blocking an FBI
probe into bribes and placing campaign workers on the county payroll."
(Newark Star-Ledger, April 17, 2008).  Over the years, the practice
became so obnoxious that we passed laws to inhibit it.

re: "It is also true that during a war ... it is better to just work
together and wait for the time after the war and then discuss what would
be a good approach to the global conflicts."

We did that in the 1920's and the 1940's and 50's.  We had noble
intentions but the institutions we created were dictated by
partisanship.  We live with the result.

re: "... it might be good to find some ways to reduce the spending a bit
(=> better chances to all candidates, less dependences in the direction
of the donators)."

The spending is welcomed by politicians and those who support them for
the precise reason that it eliminates challengers.

re: "One could also try to arrange some more serious discussions about
the policies (maybe more frequent, with less preparation) rather than
leaving it to a free style marketing campaign."

Yes, but how?  I've suggested one method and I'm sure there are others.
  We need to hear them and examine them.

Fred