[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Mon Apr 14 17:16:07 PDT 2008

Good Afternoon, Juho

re: "Unfortunately humans do have tendencies e.g. to "win" a discussion
(and thereby make the others "lose"), to prove one's own viewpoints to
be right, to believe that only one theory can be "the truth", to believe
that here is nothing to learn from points of view that are different
than one's own."

Not all humans ... only those whose ego exceeds their intellect.

re: "Maybe there is also a difference between maximizing the consumption
of goods, and organizing the current system in some new better way
(maybe sometimes making it more stable and/or less waste producing)."

Examining the economic effects of changing the method by which we select
those who represent us in our government would introduce considerable
complexity to the discussion.  Even so, it seems likely that finding and
electing the best among us as our representatives would soon put an end
to the fake capitalism practiced in my country, where our laws
increasingly foster the growth of financial and commercial monopolies.

re: "One might try to make some steps e.g. on the war related aspects
(wider than just concerning one of the wars) now when that topic is hot."

Prior to our most recent election, we had an enormous hullabaloo about
the war.  As soon as the election was over and those who professed their
anti-war fervor were elected to public office ... presumably to
implement the will of the people ... the topic disappeared from our
political horizon.

It is not wise to underestimate those who finance our political parties.
  They don't not act on principle.  They corrupt both parties with equal
facility.  Nothing will change until we change the method by which we
select and elect those who represent us in our government.

Fred