[Election-Methods] Clone related problems in Range/Approval

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Apr 14 06:50:34 PDT 2008

Hi,

I've been making the claims Juho described below, that enough spoiling
potential exists in Approval and Range Voting to deter parties from
nominating more than one candidate, periodically for several years in
this maillist, beginning with Approval.  The problem, as I see it, is
that many voters are willing to compromise as far as needed to defeat a
"greater evil" but don't want to compromise more than necessary and
won't know how far they need to compromise.  Some voters will fail to
compromise far enough.  Centrist compromise candidates may be unapproved
or underrated by enough voters to cause them to lose, which may deter
candidates from trying to be the best compromise.  Political elites
(politicians, big donors, etc.) will expect this and will avoid the
center.  As Juho wrote, they will avoid nominating multiple candidates
at non-centrist positions too.

There is real world evidence to support the claim regarding Approval,
since a method extremely similar to Approval--voting Yes or No--is used
in public voting on ballot propositions.  If not for the spoiling
problem, competing propositions would be expected more frequently.
Almost always, the choice is between two alternatives, the proposition
and the status quo.

Juho also made a point about whether a similar problem might exist given
ranked ballot voting methods.  Voters could have trouble ranking all
their party's candidates.  If so, parties could be deterred from
nominating more than one candidate (or a smaller number than they would
nominate otherwise) and would continue to rely on expensive and
haphazard primary elections to winnow their contenders.  If the ranked
ballot voting method is Condorcetian, which would normally favor
centrist compromise candidates, I think the point also covers centrist
compromise parties and candidates, since if some voters fail to rank a
"needed" compromise candidate (needed to defeat a greater evil) because
too many candidates are on the ballot, we could continue to see two big
polarized parties each nominating only one candidate per office.  I've
written about this point too.  I first heard about it from Mike Alvarez
of Caltech years ago.  Another friend of mine found research that
suggests people have trouble meaningfully ranking more than about 7
items.  My proposed solution (which I've also written about several
times) is the family of voting methods in which each voter simply
selects one candidate on election day, and prior to election day each
candidate publishes a rank ordering of the candidates. (The simplest
good method in this family is the one that allows candidates to withdraw
after the votes are published, then counts each vote using plurality
rule for the non-withdrawn candidate ranked highest in the selected
candidate's published ordering.)

Regards,
Steve