[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 09:37:02 PDT 2008

On Apr 10, 2008, at 5:24 , Fred Gohlke wrote:

> Good Evening, Juho
>
> I, too, believe in the power of understanding.  It is the basis for
> everything I write; seeking guidance and instruction wherever I can
> find
> it and explaining as thoroughly as I'm able, when asked about my
> views.
>   When we can replace passion with understanding we can apply
> reason to
> our acts.  Apples fell before Newton was struck by one, but it took
> aeons before anyone could explain why they fell.

Yes, exactly.  A relatively simple theory that all scientists soon
agreed, and probably soon didn't even remember that they had thought
otherwise before.

> re: "If the claim is a valid claim and not too far/theoretical then
> people are likely to get the point sooner or later. There will be also
> other competing arguments, but if people see the new reasoning to be
> superior they will be happy to follow it."
>
> That's true enough, but people will not get the point if the claim is
> not challenged, analyzed and discussed.  You have been looking at this
> idea.  I'm not sure you feel it has merit, but you have, at least,
> considered it.  The process would accelerate if others had the courage
> to submit their challenges.

Yes, certainty and trust comes from testing.  No need to have very
strong opposing arguments, but the new theory must be given enough
time and thinking/discussion so that people feel it is safe to jump
into that new boat.

> re: "Often the change comes when things get bad enough."
>
> Yes, it does.  Quite often the change is accompanied by violence.  I'd
> like to avoid that.  I believe humans have the intellect to consider
> 'bad' things and devise ways to lessen their impact.  That process has
> been impeded because we have been dominated by one-way communications;
> radio, television, newspapers, books, magazines, and so forth,
> which do
> not support discourse.  It is only in recent years we've had the means
> to discuss ideas in depth, as we can on this site.  I hope we can
> use it
> to develop intelligent solutions to the problems of our society.
>

> You say the U. S. is a great nation ... and it is!  I'm proud of my
> homeland, but I'm not blind to its warts.  I hope we can build a
> better
> America and, through it, a better world.

Btw, I think the new president, whoever he/she will be, has an
opportunity to do something meaningful if he/she so wants and has the
idea and strength. At least according to the media US citizens would
at the moment be ok with some fresh initiatives / changes.
Unfortunately we may need to thank again the current dissatisfaction
if anything positive (and permanent) will occur.

There are also scenarios where some positive drive leads to further
positive changes, but at least so far our societies are not so well
developed that they could make this a rule.

Juho