[Election-Methods] Applying Yee diagrams to multi-seat election methods

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Sun Apr 27 12:24:14 PDT 2008

Yee diagrams were discussed on this list a while ago.? They are diagrams where one pixel is coloured based on the results of an election held with voters centered at that pixel.

I was trying to figure out how to use Yee diagrams with PR. The problem is that since there is more than one winner, each pixel cannot be coloured a unique colour.

My program generates a diagram for each candidate to show his win region.? This means that unlike Yee's diagrams, one image is needed per candidate.

I also created a java applet that will highlight which candidates will win if the voters are centred at the mouse (using a file that has the precalculated results for each pixel).

Two circles are show centered on the mouse to show the approx scatter of the voters when the voters are centered at the mouse pointer.

It current supports 4 different voting methods
- select the N candidates with the highest total utility (not a PR method)
- select the N best candidates with a reweighting method like proportional approval voting
- use PR-STV with honest voters

For each result, the leftmost image is the java applet which allows you pick where the voters should be centered.? It then highlights the candidates who would have won that election.

The remaining images, to the right of the applet, show the win regions for each individual candidate.

The results are located at:

http://ivnryan.com/ping_yee/results.html

In the single winner case, PR-STV is showing all the issues highlighted by Yee.

However, it also shows up in the multi-winner case for certain inputs.

Raphfrk
Interesting site
"what if anyone could modify the laws"

www.wikocracy.com