[Election-Methods] Is rangevoting.org down? (plus some questions on converting Range to Approval)

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 1 11:32:28 PDT 2008

On Mar 29, 2008, at 23:35 , Michael Rouse wrote:

> has
> someone proposed a method to convert Range votes to maximal strategy
> Approval votes? I was just wondering what the properties of such a
> system might be (including cool-looking graphs, if available), and any
> paradoxes or problems that might arise.
>
> For example, would it be possible to convert Range ballots into the
> equivalent of Approval ballots where every voter has the equivalent of
> perfectly accurate polling data?

It may be possible to create some interesting algorithms. The first
problem to solve is that the optimal strategy is not stable since the
best strategy of one voter depends on the decisions of other voters.
That means that you maybe need to force the voters to use some
strategy that is equally good for all but not optimal.

> Are there weird
> Approval cycles -- like you have with Condorcet "rock-paper-scissors"
> ties -- or areas where the strategy is indeterminate?

Yes. The opinion cycles are not really Condorcet specific but they
occur in the preferences of a group irrespective of the election
method. Condorcet just records them and then tries to make decisions
including also the cyclic preferences in the decision making process.
If you record the opinions of the voters using Range style ballots
you will record the cycles too.

(Also normal Approval has this problem. If the preferences are
A>B>C>A then the applied strategy (who approves whom) determines the
winner. It is just that the voters themselves have to guess and
decide on the election day what might be the best strategy for them.)

Juho