[Election-Methods] Bullet Voting in the wider media

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Fri Oct 12 08:37:29 PDT 2007

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> An obvious question of great interest to election methods experts. Not
> of much interest practically speaking. If it is sum-of-votes range,
> which I highly recommend, such a situation would be extraordinarily
> rare. But a complete method must address it. There is a simple
> solution, and it does not have to be perfect.
>
> The contest is between the Range winner and any candidate who beats
> the Range winner. If there are more than two, then there are
> possibilities:
>
> (1) (Preferred) The Condorcet winner among the set, (Range Winner,
> those who beat the Range winner).
> (2) If there is a whole condorcet cycle beating the Range winner, then
> the one with the lowest Range score is eliminated and the contest is
> between the Condorcet winner remaining.
>
> (The Range winner is guaranteed to be in the runoff. We can, thus,
> exclude the Range winner from any cycle, if the Range winner is a
> member of a Condorcet cycle.)
>
> This, then, always reduces to two candidates which can be resolved in
> a single runoff.

Abd,

Probably this or something like it would work ok in practice, but it
doesn't fill the bill as an

>ideal method in which a voter can express his true (dictatorial,
>perhaps benevolently so, perhaps not) preferences without worrying
>that there's some way of voting otherwise to achieve a better result.

We know that Condorcet methods are vulnerable to Burial and Compromise,
and that Range is vulnerable to Burial and what has been called
Compromise-compression
(incentive to falsely vote one or more candidates equal-top alongside
the voter's true strict favourite).

The final runoff component means that in addition the composite method
is vulnerable to Pushover.  Voters who are confident that their
favourite will be one of the finalists
could have incentive to vote to try to promote a "turkey" as the other
finalist. Voting sincerely could cause their sincere favourite to face a
strong candidate and lose in the runoff.

Chris Benham