[Election-Methods] Bullet Voting in the wider media

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Sun Oct 7 17:34:10 PDT 2007

On Oct 7, 2007, at 5:01 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> At 11:53 AM 10/7/2007, Brian Olson wrote:
>> In case anyone's interested in what the general public are hearing
>> about voting strategy.
>>
>> http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/10/07/
>> ballot_query_to_bullet_or_not_to_bullet
>
> I fixed the link, hopefully, so it should work unless it gets split
> again.
>
> The article seemed pretty good. Bullet Voting is a choice that voters
> can legitimately make. It is not "insincere", practically by
> definition.

It may be worth noting (it goes without saying in the US) that the
article is referring to n-seat plurality elections ("vote for no more
than n" and top n win). It's used for city councils, county and
school boards, etc.

The term "insincere" is an unfortunate shorthand for something other
than the usual dictionary meaning. In this form of election, I take
it to mean voting, for strategic reasons, for other than the voter's
n favorite candidates, assuming that the voter approves of at least n
candidates for the office. In this case, it's the vote that would be
cast by a dictator.

"Insincere" is an unfortunate choice of terminology because the voter
here is not, of course, a dictator, and is morally entitled (that is,
in no sense blameworthy) to vote strategically to maximize the
chances of a favorite candidate, if there is one. The fault lies in
the voting method that obliges the voter to express something other
than the "ideal" outcome.

To beat the point over the head, if candidates A B C D E are running
for three seats, and my ideal result is A B C, but I prefer A so
strongly that I'd prefer A D E to any result without A, then bullet-
voting ("plumping") for A makes strategic sense, even though it means
withholding my votes from B and C, whom I would also like to see
elected (along with A) if possible. It's not insincere in the
blameworthy sense, but it's "insincere" in the election-methods
sense, according to me.

We should have another name for it.