[Election-Methods] representation for young people

John Wong johnwong00 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 01:01:06 PDT 2007

I'm unsure if this belongs in this particular mailing list, but I'll respond anyway. Generally, lowering age limits don't really matter much. If you look at the USA and Canada, the general background of the legislators are often white, upper-middle class at least, male, and are often lawyers (although this is only a plurality depending on the time period).

Canada's age qualifications for being a Parliament House Member (which is equivalent to a House Representative Member) are the voting age, which is 18. I see few 18-year-olds in the Canada House of Commons, though. Now, I'm support lower the bar of both the HR's age of 25 and the Senate's age of 30 to 18, but this probably only lower the median and mean, and do little else.

Also, running for Congress is very, very, time-consuming. I doubt most kids, and I don't mean 18-year-old's, have the time, resources, or even the inclination to run.

Generally speaking, the most successful candidates are ones that have already run for previous office, often times from local government offices, then to state government offices, then to federal government offices.

As far as I know, local government offices do not have stringent requirements, even in terms of the basic qualifications. I would say, in general, for most local offices, if you are of voting age and live in the area you are representing, you can run.

Most people don't jump directly to Congress anyway. Almost everyone going to Congress has serve SOME kind of government post, even minor ones.

In conclusion, I would completely support chancing the age requirement to the voting age (whatever it may be), but I also believe it will make almost no difference. It would probably lower the median/mean of the age, but it would have almost no other effect.

Personally speaking, here is what I think is more important. First, all states need to have the same standards for redistricting. They should have equal population as much as possible between each district. The districts must be contiguous AND compact. They must preserve the core of the prior districts. However, this will not solve the porlbem of plurality elections. I would say a runoff system must be made. My preferenece would be MAM or CSSD. But that's another discussion. Next, I would implement some form of proportional representation on top of the single-member districts (parallel voting). I would currently prefer CPO-STV, but that's another story.

Anyway, I agree, but I doubt it would do much.