[Election-Methods] Correction of false statements by Ossipff & Schudy about range voting.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Jul 31 20:20:38 PDT 2007

At 06:25 PM 7/31/2007, Peter Barath wrote:
> >>"Range voting is a generalisation of approval voting where you can
> >> give each candidate any score
> >>between 0 and 1. Optimal strategies never vote anything other than
> >> 0 or 1, so range voting
> >>complicates ballots and confuses voters for little or no gain."
> >>
> >>Ossipoff: Warren Schude's statement was correct
>
> >--CORRECTION: optimal strategies can vote other than 0 and 1, and
> >voting 0 or 1 can be suboptimal.
>
>Seems you were not so assiduous as to actually read the footnotes
>in Warren Schudy's paper, which in this particular case (footnote
>number 1) reads: "As long as the population is sufficiently big
>and uncertain."

The statement is not correct. With some patterns
of utilities and probabilities, intermediate
votes are not suboptimal at all. I'll give an
obvious counterexample. I'm working on exact
numbers, but it looks currently like the
suboptimality of the "sincere" Range vote takes
place when it is *not* fully sincere, because the
resolution does not allow an exact sincere
expression. The error can then make the Range
vote suboptimal. And this is a work in progress,
and I'm not aware of any formal study, only
theories, which can be drastically incorrect unless rigorous.

At the time that Warren Smith wrote the above, he
had not read, I think, Schudy's paper, he was
responding to the comment as made, which was made
here without the qualification.

The study I'm working on is the zero-knowledge
case. It's obvious that if you have a
two-candidate election, your sincere vote is
Approval style, even if the election method
allows more resolution, and the same is
effectively the case when there are more
candidates, but you judge them moot, even if they include your favorite.

With a large number of voters in the simple Range
2 election, the sincere vote we postulated of 2,
1, 0 had the same expected utility as 2, 2, 0 or
2, 0, 0. But to come to this result we had to
neglect three-way ties; the greatly increased
possibility of this is the reason that the
optimal Approval vote is not balanced in the small election case.

If the utility is the same, it cannot be said
that voting sincerely is "suboptimal." Rather,
what can be said about this case is that either
strategy is "optimal," there is no cost to voting
sincerely. And there is a cost in regret to
having voted insincerely. If you vote sincerely
and lose, you will think, "I did my best." If you
exaggerate, and lose because of that, you will be
kicking yourself. "Why didn't I just tell it like
it was?" Hard to quantify this, but it is a
reasonable assumption that there is a value to
sincerity and accuracy, independent from actual
strategy, such that if strategies are equally
effective, the sincere one is better.

>"Suppose that the method is 0-10 RV...
>Now, suppose that you consider the points that you're awarding
>one-at-a-time, as if it were a series of 10 Approval elections...
>We're assuming that it's a public election, so that there are so many
>voters
>that your own votes have no significant effect on the probabilities.
>Your Approval strategy is based on two things: The candidates' utility
>you, and the probabilities that you estimate...
>Your utilities don't change during that series of 10 Approval
>elections that
>you vote. The probability estimates don't change either...
>If you give to a candidate any points at all, you give hir 10 points."

Okay, counterexample to the principle. A group of
people are going to place bets on the number of
beans in a jar, to win a prize. They look at the
jar, and use some method to estimate the number.
If they guess it exactly, they get a much bigger
prize than if they are merely the closest guess.
Now, you are ten of these people, say you are all
one family, there is no competition between you.
Any one of you winning the prize is the same as
any other one, your interests coincides. How
should you guess? If you only had one chance, you
would use your estimate, best shot. But if you
have ten chances, you would spread them.

Further, there is a specific problem here. In
order to prove that the optimal strategy is to
vote Approval style, Ossipoff is *assuming* that
the optimal strategy is approval style.... He
merely does not give the individual voter a chance to vote any other way.

Now, if I look only at the situations where the
voter can influence the outcome, in a Range 2
3-candidate election with sincere utilities of 2,
1, 0, zero knowledge, the sincere vote and the
two possible Approval Votes all have the same
expectation, 40% over not voting. If I do the
same, making the election Approval, the expected
utility is 33% over not voting.

There is an assumption in Ossipoff's "proof" that
a series of decisions, optimized, must be the
same as a set of individual decisions multiplied by the number in the series.

Suppose we were trying to make a course
correction. We can do it with ten small moves or
one large one. What is the optimum move to make?
If we look at the small correction, we will see
that it is binary, perhaps. We make a full move
to swing our direction in one way. If we make a
series of these identically, however, we
overcorrect. If we are going to make a series, we
will make some in one direction, and some in the
other, with some net effect. If we do it all at
once, we would want to use some intermediate force.

So I'm highly suspicious of the "proof," and
attaching words like "linear programming" to it
doesn't help, unless the specific principle and its application is examined.

>is informal, but fully correct. (Which doesn't mean I agree with
>him in everything else.) And those who refer to linear
>programming essentially say the same thing. If the field is big
>enough, a small part of it may be considered as having linear
>probability-distribution (or whatever) functions, so the optimum
>lies somewhere on the border. So if you started to go to a
>direction you have to stay on that course.

But this clearly doesn't work in control systems
where some precision is involved.

>So, they say if the number of voters goes toward infinity, the
>probability of a case where Approval-style voting is suboptimal
>goes toward zero.

Well, this is a different case than saying,
"Optimal strategies never vote anything other
than 0 or 1, so range voting complicates ballots
and confuses voters for little or no gain."

The first part is false, as stated. It can be
equally optimal to vote "sincerely." (The
language is loaded, I do not define an Approval
style vote as "insincere," as long as preferences are not reversed.")

Secondly, the conclusion does not follow. It
presumes that the only function of elections is
to determine the winner. The performance of
losers is also of great interest and effect.
Intermediate ratings, we think, have a value in
expressing much more accurately what the gap was
between winner and loser. *How* much would a
candidate have had to rise in rating to win*? If
people vote Approval style, which they properly
are free to do, this information is lost. There
is a value to the information. Further, the zero
knowledge case is a special one. I used it for my
study because it is simpler. But it is not
realistic. Most people have some idea who is
likely to win the election, and especially they
usually know if it is a certain pair, and sometimes there are three.

Approval style votes can make very much sense if
you know a pairwise contest is the real one. It
is obvious that if this knowledge is strong, your
optimal vote is Approval style. For those two candidates. What about others?

To claim that there is no value to these other
votes is utterly without basis. It is an
*opinion* of the voter, not a fact, that this is
the pairwise contest. And voting intermediate
votes for candidates that the voter does not
expect to win can have no negative impact on the
expected utility for that voter.

And it has another value: individual voting
strategy does not determine the overall benefit
of the election to society. It may be true that
voting Approval style is optimal strategy for the
individual, but it does not follow that this
optimizes the value to society of the election.
We consider public methods and procedures based
on overall public benefit, and it is clear that
voting Approval style reduces the information
available for doing this. It is like having a
series of sensors for light. We could have analog
sensors that give us a range of values for the
light, or binary ones that tell us that the light
is above a certain threshhold. Which one can give
us better vision for making decisions? If we have
the analog ones, and we want to, we can convert
them to binary. But we can't convert the binary
to analog, particularly if there is a systemic
bias. Sometimes we can average together a lot of
binary values and get a refined value, but as it
was described above, if you take each example and
make a determination on it, which way should it
go, you can bias the outcome. When you are going
to average together a lot of binary values, it
helps to introduce noise, which causes the binary
information to become far more accurate when
averaged together. It is as if you are making a
lot of binary measurements with different cutoff levels.

And this may explain why the expected outcome is
better, under the conditions stated, for Approval
Voting strategy, if the election is Range. Maybe.
At this point this is a conjecture.

(To really know that the expected outcome is
better, I need to determine the absolute utilities, I haven't done that yet.)