[Election-Methods] Corrected "strategy in Condorcet" section

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Jul 29 10:09:21 PDT 2007

At 02:46 AM 7/29/2007, Juho wrote:
>  > 49 A
>  > 24 B
>  > 27 C>B
>
>The numbers of this example are so unlikely to occur in real life
>that I modified the example a bit to get values that would be more
>probable. This was the first one that I found to be close enough to
>be realistic (maybe not yet fully realistic, maybe there are others
>that serve the strategic needs better).

It's a bit difficult to judge what is "realistic" without looking at
real election data, and we are short of real data even from polls,
since most polls are asking the question "Who's your favorite?"

I'm not familiar with what *is* known about real voting behavior,
beyond a few points. Real voters vote many different kinds of
ballots. In a large real election, there will be ballots that are
totally blank, and ballots with all choices filled in. Even if the
rules prohibit overvoting, there will be overvotes, and some of them
will be deliberate, either due to a misunderstanding of the rules or
a deliberate voiding of the vote. Faster than running back and
getting another ballot, and voters can be in a hurry to get back to
work or whatever. An absentee voter marks the ballot wrong and, oops!
Can't get another so easily....

Like many election examples, the imagined data has itself been
truncated. If we are showing actual vote counts, we are showing a
very small election, and small elections have different
characteristics than large ones. The possibility of ties or near-ties
is increased, for example, and this affects strategy. The voters and
candidates tend to know each other, and there is less polarization.

And if we are showing percentages in a large election, they'd better
not add up to 100% unless we are including all the reasonable cases
we would see. The first example is oversimplified, for sure. Let's
look at how Juho has extended it.

I'm going to take Juho's example and edit it to add the complete
preferences, he omitted the equalities and I like to be explicit.
Truncating is the same as rating all the other candidates equal last.
I'm also spreading out the fields and putting them in columns so that
rank is clearly indicated

>30 A > B=C
>9  A > B   > C
>6  A > C   > B
>14 B > A=C
>8  B > C   > A
>2  B > A   > C
>25 C > B   > A
>5  C > A=B
>1  C > A   > B

I'm now quoting Juho out of sequence.

>I tried to keep the original number of first place supporters of each
>candidate. => 49/24/27. But I had to assume that some C supporters
>will truncate (since some B voters did so too) and as a result the
>number of A supporters had to be dropped to 43. In order to make C
>win B I donated these votes to C. => 45/24/31.

What is truly odd about this is the high number of truncations from B
supporters. It's the third most common vote.

Let's assume that the candidates are on some single axis. In major
elections, this is likely to be true, it is a simplifying first
assumption. In reality, there is more than one axis, and so
candidates who are, for an individual voter, close on one axis may be
far on another, and how the voter votes may thus seem inconsistent. A
otherwise-liberal who is morally opposed to abortion, for example,
may neglect the abortion axis except within pairs where the
candidates have the same position, in which case the
liberal-conservative axis comes into play.

Nevertheless, barging ahead with a single-axis assumption, who is the centrist?

Aside from sheer laziness -- and we've already selected out much of
that since truly lazy voters don't vote except where it is illegal to
not vote (a concept I detest, since not voting can be presumed to be
a vote equating all candidates, and there are non-coercive methods of
making sure that this is truly the case) -- truncation indicates a
strong preference between the marked candidate and the other two,
with a weak preference between them.

I've been contending for some time that in order to understand
election methods, even if they do not collect preference strength
information, we should posit it. Otherwise vote patterns are rather
arbitrary. We see, in places, comparisons of election methods that
are utterly concerned about what might be called the Satisfaction Sum
criterion (the method chooses the candidate who maximizes overall
satisfaction with the result) or the Satisfaction Count criterion
(the method chooses the candidate who maximizes the number of voters
who are at a chosen level of satisfaction or higher, also called
Approval). For brevity, we could call these the Range Criterion and
the Approval Criterion, but they should not be confused with the methods.

The reason why these criteria aren't mentioned and considered in
evaluating election methods is that we are accustomed to studying
methods by positing votes. And so we don't have any information about
these criteria. Except that, for example, with the Majority
Criterion, most writers *do* assume some kind of invisible
preference. But what is lacking is the far more informative
assumption of preference *and* preference strength. Otherwise,
without preference strength information, the analyst is equating a
strong, maximal preference, unshakeable, with an extremely weak
preference, so weak that the voters' vote is really a random choice
made at the time of voting. There is actually no preference at all.

There are those who claim that Range Voting is problematic because
there is no way of comparing the "utilities" expressed by the voter,
between voters. However, we can posit utilities just as easily as we
can posit votes, and we can posit them on an absolute scale that *is*
commensurable. Yes there is an assumption underneath that which may
not be true, but it is an assumption that democracy depends on. It is
the assumption that the opinion of every voter is equally valuable;
underneath this must be an assumption that the *range of welfare
possibilities* for every voter is equal.

In my writing on this, I call it the "first normalization." When we
select the utilities for candidates in preparing a study, we would
place these utilities on a scale where one end is "the worst possible
thing that could ever happen," and the other end is like that, only
the best." In real elections, generally, the absolute utilities will
be clustered in the middle somewhere, usually. And then there will
be, in the votes cast, some kind of normalization, which may or may
not be full.

We will see Range ballots where the voter votes low scores, for
example, for all candidates. Ballots like these will produce
different results with the Range Criterion and Approval Criterion, if
the approval cutoff is set at the mean rating for all candidates. So
a vote of Bad will be considered "Approval," by this criterion. There
are arguments that this is, indeed, what we should do.

When we are studying election methods, we are usually judging them by
some standard we presume best, such as maximizing the number of
people who prefer the candidate. Certainly we should include the
Range Criterion and Approval Criterion in our consideration.

Ranked methods without preference strength information inherently
will fail Participation, because if the voter expresses a preference
that is actually weak, it is treated as strong, or as being of middle
strength, and thus can warp the outcome such that it worsens for the
voter by voting. If I've got this right, the problem of Participation
is inherent with ranked methods for the reason described.

With the truncated votes here, the expressed vote is then treated as
having maximal strength. This is almost certainly overstated, yet the
ranked method leaves the voter with no alternative. If the voter's
normalized utilities for ABC are 910 in Range 9, the truncation is a
very reasonable vote, but if the voter does not truncate and votes
A>B>C, the voter is effectively voting as if the rating for B were 5.
That's a large distortion. And ranked methods do encourage this
distortion. The voter *does* prefer B to C.

Whether or not to use Range methods in public elections is a complex
question, particularly because of the possible problem of strategic
voting (though that appears overstated) and of normalization as well
(the alleged incommensurability of the utilities), but this is quite
different from avoiding its use in comparing election methods.
Whether in simulations or in exact studies, utilities must properly
underlie the value of election methods.

Back to the question of "Who is the centrist?"

We have here a disagreement by the electorate as to who is in the
middle. This is completely normal, because supporters of the middle
candidate will not agree on who is in the middle (in their own rankings).

If the election were choosing the "middle" candidate, who would it
pick? Consider it an approval election, with = votes being votes for
both candidates as in the middle.

We have
         A       B       C