[Election-Methods] DYN is probably better, but less proposable

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Fri Jul 27 01:50:52 PDT 2007

Paul Kislanko > Sent: 27 July 2007 04:10

> > Regarding: "It is simply not traditional in politics. It
> > is ubiquitous in business" referring to proxy voting.
>
> I don't think you want to go there. The way "proxy voting"
> works in business is you give the board your proxy or don't
> get a vote at all. And if you give your vote to the board,
> they don't vote your wishes (if they wanted your wishes voted
> they'd have let you vote...)

I am completely opposed to "proxy voting" for public elections as sometimes proposed here, and so would agree with Paul
"you don't want to go there".  However, you may wish to note that in the UK it is now common in corporate voting for
shareholders to be able to mandate their proxies.  So the absent member can mandate his/her proxy to vote for the
resolution, to vote against the resolution or to abstain from voting on the resolution, or can give the proxy free
choice of what to do.  If the proxy is mandated, the "proxy" in effect becomes a "postal vote".

James Gilmour