[Election-Methods] Why extreme ratings are optimal in RV

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Jul 26 12:54:38 PDT 2007

At 05:13 AM 7/26/2007, Michael Ossipoff wrote:

>Suppose that the method is 0-10 RV. Suppose that everyone but you has voted,
>and now you're going to cast the final ballot. As in actual elections, you
>don't know how others have voted, though you have some sort of probability
>estimates, such as pair-tie probabilities.

Now, my study is of the zero-knowledge case. Because this is simpler
to calculate, etc., so far that's all I've looked at. It sets a kind
of baseline.

And I also studied Range 2, which also makes it extremely simple.
What I'm now noting is that it is entirely possible that optimal
strategy in Range N is different from optimal strategy in Range M. I
have indications of that, but have not yet exhaustively studied any
other Range resolution than Range 2.

There are indications that Range 999999 has an optimal strategy of
extreme voting, though it is clear that sincere voting is totally
harmless, and perhaps better than that, *with some kinds of
preference and probability patterns.* Simulations, generally, have
not answered this question, the strategies, quite simply, may not be adequate.

There are indications, for example, that optimal strategy could start
out as Sincere with exact equal preference ratings (2, 1, 0), zero
knowledge, but drift toward Approval with increase of knowledge, or
with shift of preference. The simulations looked at, apparently,
*all* preference gaps, so the results are averaged over many. So with
*some* kinds of preference gaps, an advantage of one over the other
could disappear. Perhaps it hurts more than it helps, sincere voting,
averaged over all preference strengths. But would help with some.

I've seen Warren note an optimal Range vote that was neither extreme,
nor sincere. It had been shifted. So an optimal strategy may be
neither sincere nor extreme, but determined in some way. And this has
not, to my knowledge, been exhaustively tested.

>Now, suppose that you consider the points that you're awarding
>one-at-a-time, as if it were a series of 10 Approval elections. Who are all
>the candidates whom you would give a point to in the first Approval
>election. Then, who are all the candidates whom you'd give a vote to in the
>2nd Approval election? And so on, for 10 Approval elections. In each round
>(Approval election), you vote to maximize the amount of expectation good
>that your Approval votes in that round will give you, just as you would if
>your were maximizing your expectation in an actual Approval election.

You have a series of actions you can take. You are *assuming* that
the actions aren't interrelated, that the first action does not
affect the utility of the second. So it is not surprising that you
would conclude that, if in an Approval election, your optimal vote is
Approval style, that you should, in each one of them, vote the same.

Reductio ad absurdem: Suppose that you were the only voter, voting in
a Range election. But your preferences shift and change depending on
what is in front of you. Over 10 days, you experience a range of
considerations, and so your ratings of the candidates vary from day
to day, but you assume that your experience, averaged out, will be
constant. You can hold these 10 elections, one per day. What voting
method would you prefer, Approval or Range? Which one will maximize
your *personal* utility, *overall*.

If you are smart, I'd suggest, you would not simply record your
favorite each day (let's make it simple, there are two candidates).
You would record your *rating* each day, for both candidates. You'll
make a better decision, overall, because you will be integrating your
utilities over many days and facing different conditions.

We would do this with society, integrating our preferences over many
voters, thereby likely increasing the wisdom of the result. Now, the
fly in the ointment is sincerity. If voters distort their votes, what
is the effect.

However, I made this discovery with my study: it does not matter what
the other voters do, the utility of the sole voter without knowledge
is maximized by voting sincerely. If it is an approval *election*,
forcing all to vote in that style, the voter's expected utility is
reduced no matter what strategy he uses. If all the other voters vote
approval style, I forget what result I got, it may be that Approval
is the best strategy.

But *one* other voter can convert the case, creating one point gaps.
No matter how many voters in the election. So it does not matter if
99% of the voters vote the extremes, if a few voters vote otherwise,
it is as if all had voted with full resolution, the vote
distributions are the same.

Interesting result, eh?