[Election-Methods] [EM] "Social Utility Will Look After Itself"

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jul 26 12:30:05 PDT 2007

Forest W Simmons wrote:

>Chris B wrote...
>

>>Regarding "social utility", I'm of the school that says that to the
>>extent that it is a real and wonderful thing it will look after itself
>>if we do
>>our best to ensure that the election method is as fair and
>>strategy-resistant as possible.
>>

>Random Ballot is already fair and as strategy-resistant as possible, so
>there is wiggle room here.

"Random Ballot" is equivalent to having a random citizen appoint the
office-holder (i.e. "Random Dictator").
That isn't an  "election" (it's a lottery), so therefore Random Ballot
isn't an "election method".

>How about maximizing voting power, i.e. the
>probability that your ballot will make a difference in your favor in a
>typical election?

In a large election, I wouldn't think there would be much difference on
that score between RB and a normal
fair deterministic voting method.

Chris Benham