[Election-Methods] [EM] Juho--Schudy's statement is correct.

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Jul 26 07:32:28 PDT 2007

I have time only for a few quick comments about Mr. Lomax' message (below).

First, he appears to have misunderstood what I meant about altruistic
voters.  I asked what would happen if they voted sincerely (and selfish
voters extremize).  Somehow he misinterpreted that as if I'd asked what
would happen if they misrepresented their preferences.

Second, about optimal Range Voting strategy.   It looks to me from my
own analysis and that of others that, from the individual voter's point
of view, the vote most effective at maximizing that voter's expected
utility is one that extremizes (except in some unimportant rare cases
where another vote can be as good.)  I haven't had time to hunt for Mr.
Lomax' definition of optimality to check whether he defines it from the
perspective of the (social utilitarian) voting system designer, rather
than from the perspective of the voter who seeks to maximize his/her own
utility.

Are we all agreed that extremizing is the (game-theoretically) optimal
Range Vote in the case where there are only two candidates?

--Steve