[Election-Methods] [EM] Intermediate Ratings Never Optimal?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Jul 23 20:15:16 PDT 2007

At 04:19 PM 7/23/2007, Stephane Rouillon wrote:
>It means that a non-extreme range votes ballot can be optimal, but if it is
>the case,
>at least two extreme range votes ballot should be optimal too.

I may be thoroughly confused here, but there are some unclear
definitions. It is trivial that an optimal Range ballot contains the
extremes. The question is whether or not the voter's individual
utility can be improved, in an election with more than two
candidates, by usingca an intermediate rating (or perhaps more than
one, if there are three or more candidates).

What has been claimed is that it is *never* optimal to cast
intermediate votes. What is clearly true about this is that it is
never optimal to submit a ballot that does not contain at least one
instance of both extremes. And that's also a trivial result.
Submitting a ballot with, for example, votes of 0, 0, 0.5 (1 being
full-scale), is essentially casting one-half vote, devaluing the
personal utilities of the voter.

But this does not necessarily apply to candidates other than the most
preferred or least preferred. Casting an extreme vote in the positive
direction, for such a third candidate, improves the possibility of
election of that candidate over the least preferred, but
simultaneously abstains from the pairwise election between the
favorite and the least-preferred.

I somewhat thought that I would find equivalence in the case studied,
since the B preference was midrange. That's not what I found, so I
may have erred, it's certainly worth looking again!

I had thought I would have to go to Range 3 (0-3), with sincere
utilities of 3, 2, 0, to find the effect I expected, because here an
approval style vote clearly distorts, and I was just trying the Range
2 case to practice and to see what a simpler case looked like.