[Election-Methods] [EM] Is "sincere" voting in Range suboptimal?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Jul 23 19:10:58 PDT 2007

Continuing my report on a study of voter-optimal Range Voting in a
zero-knowledge candidate election with a sincere midrange candidate.

I realized that a way to study the expected utilities was to look
only at situations where the voter's vote actually counts, that is,
it makes a difference. To keep it simple, I ended up doing this by
neglecting the very rare circumstance, in a large election, that
there is a three-way near-tie. So I look at the three pairwise
elections; we do not know which of these is the real one, we have no
information about it.

If we did, then the optimal strategy would depend on which pairwise
election was the one being resolved by the voter. And we know and
acknowledge that where knowledge is sufficient, the voter's personal
utility is enhanced by voting the extremes, i.e., Approval style.
However, in some circumstances, where the risk is small, a voter may
still consider that the normal overall improvement in social utility
which results from voters voting sincerely makes it worthwhile.

There are three possible pairwise elections in the set, the AB pair,
the AC pair, and the BC pair. In a large election, even if it were
the case that many voters were voting strategically, the important
pairwise contests, where the voter's vote can alter the outcome, show
the same vote "dregs" as the possible voting pattern for a single
voter. I modelled this by assigning a net vote of -3 to the candidate
excluded from the pairwise election, thus our voter cannot bring this
up to a tie and thus to a possible win; then the possible votes for
the other two candidates were as before.

The results: expected utility for the "sincere" Range vote: 40. For
the Approval style vote: 39. In the zero knowledge case, there is a
slight improvement in utility by voting sincerely. How this is
shifted when there is knowledge, I have not studied: I'd have to
assign probabilities to the elections, I would use Range 3 instead of
Range 2, or possibly even higher Range (but the vote patterns rapidly
increase in number), but I assume that as the certainly of knowledge
increases, the optimum Range Vote shifts toward Approval style,
though details remain to be worked out.

Some critics have termed voting sincerely in Range, "altruistic." I'd
strongly disagree. Giving up a small benefit, in a single
transaction, in order to generate a larger social benefit is not
altruism except when viewed in isolation. It looks like I'm going out
of my way to help someone else. But I also know that if I treat
people this way, they are more likely to treat me this way, and if
everyone, or even a substantial fraction of people, so behave, *we
all benefit.* This is the reason that actual human behavior in the
Traveller's dilemma does not match the narrow calculation of
immediate benefit that classic game theory would predict.

(In the Traveler's Dilemma, two travelers suffer loss of a valuable
and identical item in their luggage, difficult to value. The airline
luggage manager offers them a deal: they are asked to state the value
of the item. If they both agree, that is what they get, up to $100.
If they disagree, they both receive the lower of the stated values,
except that the one with the lowest stated value gets a $2 bonus,
subtracted from what is paid to the other.)

Contrary to classic game theory, I suggest (with others) that the
optimum choice is $100, if the goal is to maximize return to the
travellers, or the actual cost of the items, if overall SU is being
maximized *including the airline.*

In the game theory analysis, there is a risk that the other traveller
will go for maximum return, will be "greedy," or "selfish," as those
who vote strategically were recently termed. Thus by stating $99
instead of $100, the "selfish" traveller gains $1, costing the other
traveller $3 below the $100 "bid."

So a common application of game theory would suggest that the payoff
for stating $100 is lower than for stating $99. But then we can
assume that the other traveler would realize this and so state $98,
and the Nash equilibrium is actually at a bid of $2. Apparently,
though, from experiment, most people are too smart to use the
"rational" game theory approach and instead use a far more efficient
and cooperative model, perhaps noticing that the maximum payoff to
the set of players is for a bid of $100. By being "suckers" and
taking the risk that the other player will bid $99, thus causing them
to only get $97, they get a far better outcome than if they look for
the best possible outcome for themselves personally.

Thus they risk the loss of $3 to a selfish player, and by being
willing to take this risk, they generally maximize their gain, and if
they suffer a loss due to the selfish manipulations of another, it is
a small loss.

The scenarios where, allegedly, selfish voters exaggerate their
preferences in order to maximize their personal outcome, and these
selfish voters prevail, is one where the loss to the majority is
small; voters who are considering the maximum total "payoff" do
better, overall, than they would do, on average, if they themselves
exaggerated.

To show this is complex unless one uses simulation, which is where
IEVS comes in, Warren Smith's public-source voting simulator.

In any case, even if it were true that strategic voting seriously
damaged Range, Range Voting would remain of interest as a voting
method that maximized collective benefit where all voters are
sincere. No doubt about it, strategic voting does damage, but it does
not appear that it causes serious damage to sincere voters. And it is
not a simple matter, aside from using a simulation, to quantify this;
what too many writers have done is to note damage, fail to quantify
it, and fail to balance it against benefit.

A voter who votes sincerely can certainly come to regret the vote;
this is clear from the voting patterns I found in my study. However,
this is not the norm (incidence 3/27) and is more than balanced by
the votes where the voter would have regretted voting Approval style
(incidence 5/27). In all cases the loss of utility was the same: 0.5,
that is, 25%. For example, of the votes where the voter's vote can
affect the outcome -- and these are, of course, the only ones where
the voter's vote can properly be regretted -- there is only one of
the possibilities where the outcome is the election of the least
favorite, with a utility of zero. But, with an Approval style vote,
it's a tie, thus the utility is 0.5. (Average of 0 and 1).

(Utilities are expressed in the example in the units of the Range
votes; the range is 0-2, so 0 is the least favorable outcome and 2 is
the most favorable.)

There is certainly a good possibility that I've erred in this analysis!