[EM] Juho--Schudy's statement is correct.

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Jul 22 13:24:54 PDT 2007

I think Warren Schudy could have written a stronger negative comment
about Range Voting.  Comparing it to Approval in his paper, he said it
offers "little or no gain" (see below).  That suggests outcomes with
Range Voting would tend to be at least as good as with Approval.
Outcomes with Range Voting could be much worse.  What happens if many
altruistic voters tend to try to vote sincerely and selfish voters tend
to use the optimal strategy of extremizing to the limits of the range?  Ugh.
--Steve Eppley
-------------------------------------
Michael Ossipoff wrote:
-snip-
> On Jul 21, 2007, at 8:05 , Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
>
>> At 11:00 PM 7/20/2007, Chris Benham wrote:
>>
>>> I think Warren Schudy put it well in a July 2007 draft paper:
>>>
>>> "Range voting is a generalisation of approval voting where you can
>>> give each candidate any score
>>> between 0 and 1. Optimal strategies never vote anything other than 0
>>> or 1, so range voting
>>> complicates ballots and confuses voters for little or no gain."

-snip-