[EM] When Voters Strategize, Approval Voting Elects Condorcet

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 18 04:45:41 PDT 2007

One more thought on the trend to reduce the level of strategic games
with the votes. It may be possible to develop also automatic
strategies for the votes. If there is a need to guarantee the
termination of the strategy changes one could artificially force that
by e.g. allowing the strategy changes only in one direction, e.g.
from approving less towards approving more candidates.

Here's one example calculation (with "abc" loop and one extra not so
popular "d" candidate). The strategy algorithm that I used is simply
to move the approval cutoff one step forward if the currently leading
candidate is worse than the next to be approved candidate in the
ballot, until there are no more changes to the strategies. In some
situations this algorithm can also provide protection against voter
strategies.

35 a,bcd
33 b,cad
32 d,cab