[EM] Fwd: 2008 election fiasco is preventable

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Jul 13 12:56:01 PDT 2007

At 02:12 PM 7/13/2007, Kathy Dopp wrote:

>Excuse me if you've already seen this one.  Would something this simple work?

Yes. This is our very own Jan Kok, describing the core of
implementing Approval Voting. Simply counting all the votes
eliminates the first-level "spoiler effect."

If you look at the history of overvoting rules, at least as far as
I've been able to find, there was an assumption that overvotes were
errors, and if they were errors, then it being impossible to
determine which vote was the intended one, they were thrown out.

But allowing voters to vote freely makes it possible for voters to
vote for a third party candidate *and* for a major party candidate,
thus not spoiling the major election.

Yes, it does not solve all problems. But Approval Voting is a very
good system, one of the best. Higher resolution Range is better. In
the other direction, Condorcet methods are arguably better in some
ways. Approval is *clearly* better than so-called Instant Runoff
Voting, and it is a whole lot simpler to implement.

There is no violation of the one-person, one-vote principle, since
only one vote *at most* actually counts in the end. However, it is no
longer possible to assume that there is an error if the vote totals
exceed the number of voters. But that is a very simple-minded measure
anyway, and it is easily bypassed by reporting full voting patterns.

In any case, once we have public ballot imaging, which I predict will
happen in some places in 2008, we will have far better means of
detecting counting fraud anyway.