[EM] Approval's worst problem isn't a problem

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Fri Jul 20 05:30:53 PDT 2007

The example that Rob posted …

45: A>B>C
20: B>C>A
35: C>B>A

...Is similar to the worst problem example frequently brought up about
Approval. The difference is that usually B and C are very close in numbers,
and the A voters don’t have a preference between B and C.

So it might be morelike:

40: A
31: B>C>A
29: C>B>A

Again B is the CW, but this time just barely. And maybe no one knows who is
CW, because it’s so close. What’s known is that B and C add up to a majority
that could easily defeat A--if they co-operate.

But, regrettably, co-operation between B and C is a Nash disequilibrium.
If the vote is: