[EM] Juho--about unreversed Nash equilibria

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 27 10:16:24 PST 2007

On Feb 27, 2007, at 11:46 , Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> But your smiley suggests that my examples are not what you mean by
> “real life example”s. Well, since margins isn’t in use anywhere, it
> would be difficult to find real life examples. All one can do is
> show what can happen.

Well, actually I didn't mean "the really real life" with "real life",
just examples that can be thought to have occurred in some typical
elections, not ones that are so theoretical that they are not likely
to ever occur in (real) real life. I have tried to direct the
discussion to on type of typical examples, namely large public
elections. So, I'm interested in examples that have concrete numbers
that could happen in some typical elections and that can be discussed
using arguments on relate probabilities in real life situations (e.g.
what is the probability of a certain strategy in a certain situation
to make the outcome of the election more favourable to the strategic
voters, how much, what are the risks etc.).

> You know, the person who should be expected to defend his claim is
> the person claiming that Nash equilibria won’t matter.

You claimed that Nash equilibrium is an important problem. In
addition to the theoretical claim I'd like to understand what that
might mean in real elections. Therefore I'd be interested in an
example where the problems materialize (to potentially become
convinced that the Nash equilibrium kills the margin based Condorcet
methods). I don't know what the worst identified scenarios are. I'm
interested e.g. to see the dynamics of the voter decisions. What will
happen when they apply strategies and what will happen then as a
result of not having any Nash equilibrium?

> You’re proposing a voting system that will often have situations in
> which the only Nash equilibria, the only stable outcomes, are ones
> in which people order-reverse. Do you realize how far you’re going
> in order to forgive that big fault of margins?

I'm not yet convinced tat stable strategic states would be the only
reasonable way forward.

Juho