[EM] Margins examples

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 26 13:02:32 PST 2007

I modified Mike Ossipoff's first negative margins example a bit to
make it worse from the margins point of view and more real life like.
B has now less first place supporters to make the number of required
strategic votes more manageable. I'm not sure if this is still in the
original intended range but this example seems one step more
dangerous to me.

Sincere votes:
45: AB (practically all A supporters prefer B to C)
5: BA (there must be some votes of this type too)
15: B
5: BC (there must be some votes of this type too)
30: CB (practically all C supporters prefer B to A)

With these numbers
- B would be the Condorcet winner with sincere votes
- 26 or more A supporters will vote strategically AC (instead of AB)
- as a result A wins with margins (but C wins if winning votes are used)
- other voters may react negatively to A's plan to vote strategically
and steal the victory from B
- A can tolerate 4 BA voters changing their vote to B
- or A can tolerate 4 B voters changing their vote to BC
- or A can tolerate 2 BA voters changing their vote to BC
- but if more B supporters change their opinion then C wins (or may
win as a result of a tie)
- when B supporters understand that this will be a competition
between the two big candidates, A and C, the 15 voters that truncated
their votes are more likely to take position between the leading
candidates A and C (more probably in the direction of BC than BA)

Making 26% of the population vote strategically doesn't seem very
probable (but this depends quite lot on if the country has a
tradition of strategic voting and strategic advices).

Making B supporters angry enough to change the way they vote as
discussed above is very much possible. B voters are also "forced" to
take position on if A or C wins.

Also A may lose first place support of some voters that do not
approve the strategic activities.

If B supporters change their preferences in the direction BA->BC
(either as a result of non-exact polls naturally changing opinions or
as a result of getting angry to A) then the strategy will work
against A.

It looks quite possible that the probability of C winning (instead of
B) is higher than the probability of A winning (instead of B). If
this is the case, A supporters will be better off if they will not
try this strategy.

Juho

P.S. I note that there may be major differences in the attitudes in
different countries (or other societies). In some countries strategic
voting may be taken as granted and voters may expect to be given
recommendations on how to apply the most efficient strategies. In
some other countries recommending strategic voting would be seen as
an attempt of fraud and voters would immediately change their opinion
of that candidate. This kind of differences could also explain some
unexplainable differences in the attitudes on strategic voting on
this list :-). My learning is that it would be good to always state
one's assumptions clearly. (My tradition is more on the second
scenario side, but I try to cover also varying levels of strategy
centric thinking.)