[EM] Why does IRV but not delayed top-two runoff lead to 2-partydomination?

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 24 23:06:25 PST 2007

On Feb 25, 2007, at 2:05 , Jan Kok wrote:
> Are there any Australian web sites, blogs, newspaper or magazine
> editorials, etc. that criticize IRV?
>
> http://australianpolitics.com/voting/systems/preferential.shtml is not
> strongly critical but does say "It [IRV] promotes a two-party system
> to the detriment of minor parties and independents." I've asked the
> author of that site why he said that, but haven't received a response.

Also this list has had discussions on the Australian system. It has
some peculiarities that are relevant in the two-party domination
related discussions. With a quick search I found the following mail
by Chris Benham that has further links to older mails.

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/
2005-June/016136.html

Juho