[EM] Why does IRV but not delayed top-two runoff lead to 2-party domination?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Feb 23 10:12:16 PST 2007

At 06:17 AM 2/23/2007, Jan Kok wrote:
>2. Under IRV, if a "third party" candidate makes it to the last round,
>it draws little attention from the media. But under TTR, when there is
>a runoff, both candidates get equal attention for several weeks. This
>lets the finalists compete on an equal basis, so the third party has a
>realistic chance to win, and even if hse does not win, the party and
>candidate will be remembered in the next election.

Whether or not this is *the* explanation, it is thoroughly plausible
that this has an effect. Quite simply, a real runoff election is a
different animal than what happens in IRV, because of the campaigning
and public attention which is now focused on two candidates. It is
*far* easier, I'd expect, for a third party to make it to the top
two, where it *is* going to get major attention and just might win,
than to win under plurality, for sure, and with IRV, it won't get the
opportunity. Even if ballot analysis shows that the third party was
close, it is just not the same as a public contest.

I've never been thrilled about "instant* runoff; readers may have
noticed that I prefer whatever takes elections into something closer
to deliberative process, and succeeding votes with debate between
them is definitly moving toward deliberation. The ultimate of this
would be pairwise, where each question presented to the public is a
Yes/No question, and which will pick *at worst* the Condorcet winner
(if the Condorcet winner is presented at some point in the process).
But, of course, this process is impractical for public elections.

Or is it? It actually becomes possible with Asset Voting or with
Delegable Proxy, for these techniques can boil down the electorate
into a representative body that can function fully deliberatively.
And those who are familiar with the FA/DP proposals will know that
such a body can allow direct voting on questions before it. That is,
any voter could participate in the voting at any point, or may
entrust this right to a proxy, who may further pass it on, all of
which transmission is rendered moot whenever the voter votes directly.

The traditional understanding that direct democracy is impractical is
based on an assumption that links voting with other forms of
participation. It is impossible to *deliberate* in large groups, not
in the traditional way, because demands for floor time become
impossible to fulfill. There are ways around this, but the DP method
solves the most basic problem: even if we find a way to deliberate in
large groups (such as creating a hierarchy of subgroups), most people
don't have the time.

FA/DP preserves the right of direct vote, but does not guarantee the
right to deliberate, i.e., to address the general assembly and to
enter motions. That right may be reserved for privileged proxies (DP)
or elected representatives (Asset). The right to vote does not add
deliberative burden, so there is no reason to restrict it to
representatives only.

(The argument that the public is insufficiently informed is an old
antidemocratic argument that is specious. Some of the public is
informed, some is not. Ultimately, who has the right to decide that a
particular individual is sufficiently informed or not? Remember,
elected representatives, currently, are sometimes very badly
informed..... My answer is that in a democracy, the one who has this
right is the voter himself or herself. *I* decide if I know enough
about a subject to vote on a matter that requires this knowledge.
And, the fact is, I don't know enough about *most* subjects to make
me want to vote on it if I have the option of leaving the matter to
someone I trust to know better than I (or at least as well as I).

If ignorant people want to vote on things they don't understand,
well, it's a democracy. They have the right. Democracy allows people
to make foolish decisions. If a *majority* makes a foolish decision,
society is going to suffer. The alternative is to repress that
foolish majority, and a society which does this is in trouble in any case.