[EM] Comments on Heitzig's utility essay

Warren Smith wds at math.temple.edu
Thu Feb 22 19:53:04 PST 2007

>Heitzig: Warren seems to insist that for some reason the Archimedean property is
essential, but he doesn't tell why. Without it, you can still sum up
utilities and do all kinds of arithmetics with them, so why should we
care about that property?

--I didn't insist it was essential. I merley claimed I agreed with it and I also clamed
you did too (you just pretended not to).

I happen therefore to believe in utilties and without any need to adjoin
infinitesimals to the real numbers.

Heitzig is a member of what I thought was an extinct species - mathematically
educated people denying the existence of utility.  However I now see he has progressed and
now agrees utilities exist as long as you extend the real numbers appropriately.

That is progress, I guess.

As Forest said:
"If the purpose of the trip is not infinitely valuable
compared to the value of one cent, then don't do it."

I guess Heitzig agrees with that.

Whatever.

Warren D Smith
http://rangevoting.org