[EM] Juho reply, 21 Feb., 1053 GMT

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 14:30:27 PST 2007

On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:53 , Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> Juho replies:
>
> Do you mean that margins would be so "strategy inviting" that most
> voters would turn to strategic voters (in practical real-life
> elections) if margins are used?
>
> I reply:
>
> Yes, voters would be more likely to regret sincere ranking in
> margins than in wv.

This and many other points referred to various differences between
margins and winning votes and related criteria. My proposed way
forward is at the end of this mail.

> WV is much more strategy-free. The difference is unidirectional.

I doubt the unidirectionality. I think the example I gave (Sincere
votes: 49:A, 49:BC, 1:CB. Strategic votes: 49:A, 49:BC, 1:CA.) was an
example of a situation where WV is vulnerable to a strategy and
margins is not.

> But Minmax only scores the candidate according to his worst defeat.
> That doesn’t tell what it would take to get rid of all of his
> defeats and make him the CW.

I think minmax(margins) does give information on how many votes a
candidates needs to become a Condorcet winner. I'll use an example to
visualize what I meant.

A loses to B 40-50. A loses to C 30-45. A wins all the other
candidates. If there would be 16 additional voters that would rank A
first the 30-45 defeat would change to a 46-45 win and the 40-50
defeat would change to a 56-50 win. 15 additional voters would be too
little and 17th additional voter is not needed. One thus needs to add
one to the worst margins defeat of a candidate to get the number of
additional voters that the candidate needs to become a Condorcet winner.

> One of the advantages of wv over margins is that, in wv, offensive
> order-reversal is easily thwarted by simply not ranking the
> reversers’ candidate.

Does this mean that voters that are not sure what strategies other
voters will use but who believe that strategies will be used should
bullet vote their own favourite? :-) As I said, I'd prefer sincere
ballots to strategic defences.

> Offensive order-reversal, the only thing that could cause a
> strategy problem in wv (truncation causes a strategy problem in
> margins), requires lots of co-ordination, many strategic voters and
> has great risk of failure--especially in wv, where it’s so easily
> thwarted, merely by not ranking the perpetrators’ candidate.
>
> In margins, a CW could be defeated by truncation even if it is
> inadvertent, lazy, hurried, or otherwise non-strategic. But of
> course the election could be stolen from the CW by strategically-
> intended truncation too, in margins.

I think the best way forward would be to give practical examples of
situations where the methods fail due to strategic voting. This would
demonstrate that the theoretic vulnerabilities are also practical
vulnerabilities. And this gives us the opportunity to estimate the
probabilities too.

Maybe you can provide an example that demonstrates some really bad
case where margins fail. I'll try to do the same for winning votes. I
have no intention to prove that winning votes would be worse than
margins in all scenarios. I'd like to see them roughly at the same
level with respect to vulnerability to strategies. In addition to
that I hope that the strategy related problems would stay at levels
where they are not a probable threat in typical large scale public
elections. Since US presidential elections are a well known study
item on this list I propose to use that framework (nation wide
Condorcet election).

Here's my example. It is in principle the same one I already used but
now presented as a bit more realistic scenario. We have three
candidates: D=Democrat, C=CentristRepublican, R=RightWingRepublican.
I don't have any small party candidates, and that's maybe a deviation
from realism, but let's do this simple scenario first.

Sincere votes:
21: D
21: DC
03: DR
03: CD
26: CR
26: RC

Many Democratic voters truncated since they were not interested in
the Republican party internal battle between R and C.

The R supporters note that they could vote RD and get R elected (with
winning votes). They spread the word among the R supporters and press
too to reach the required number of voters. 6 out of the 26 R
supporters follow the recommended strategy (=> 20: RC, 06: RD). R
wins (with winning votes).

Is this scenario a credible real life scenario? Do you expect 6 out
of the 26 R supporters to vote strategically? Opinions will be
different in the poll that was used for planning the strategy and in
the actual election. Does that make the strategy less credible? Is
there a risk that this strategy would backfire? How often does it
happen that supporters of one candidate have the possibility to
influence the outcome of the election?

My target is to point out what the approximate probability level of
minmax(winning votes) to fail as a result of strategic voting is. I
don't consider counter strategies yet since I'm mostly interested in
seeing how possible/probable successful strategic manipulation is in
the first place.

Juho

P.S. One more example on winning votes and truncation. 49:AB, 48:BC,
2:CA. A supporters truncate => C wins. Or alternatively sincere votes
are 49:AB, 48:BC, 2:CB. In this case truncation by A supporters makes
it possible for C supporters to vote strategically 2:CA => C wins
(instead of B that was A supporters' second favourite).