[EM] RE : The list's complete rejection of the poll

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Feb 21 07:52:36 PST 2007

At 01:42 AM 2/21/2007, Juho wrote:
>Few thoughts about wiki and public voting:
>- I guess people will be more "mainstream" when their votes can be
>seen by others => extreme groups that are not generally liked (in the
>media, by friends etc.) will get less support

etc.

Of course, there is a solution, which is mixed anonymous/public
votes. That is, there can be a public poll and an anonymous poll at
the same time.

Generally, in the FA/DP concept, polls will be taken publicly.
However, there is nothing to prevent people from joining anonymously
(i.e., using a pseudonym). There is nothing to prevent sock puppets.

*But* poll analysis is distributed in FA/DP. That is, anyone can
analyze a poll, using information about users. Some users will be
known. Others will be known, not publicly, but to their proxies. So
there will be fully anonymous users, validated users (validated by a
public process), and indirectly validated users (validated by their
proxy, presumably.) All this can be considered in analyzing polls.

This can be done in FA/DP because the organization is not taking an
official position based on the poll. The poll is for information
purposes only, and can legitimately be reported as such. That is, it
would never be legitimate to say that the Free Association of
Democrats endorses such and such a candidate. But it could be said
that 96.3% of the members, voting directly or by proxy, endorsed that
candidate. It's just a fact.

Similarly with the Election Methods Free Association and polls
regarding election methods.

FAs are what exist by default. What we are trying to do is to
formalize them. DP adds a new dimension.

Many think that DP is a fish bicycle in small organizations. Not so,
at least not in theory. EM, for example, has people who come and go.
They may continue to have an interest in EM, and they certainly don't
lose their knowledge -- or at least most of them haven't, my mind is
a leaky sieve -- but life moves on, many of them simply don't have
the time any more. That is exactly what DP is for. If they leave
behind a proxy, not only have they provided information about who
represents the "majority," or whatever, but they remain contactable,
presuming that they have entrusted their proxy with continued contact
information. They may be able to come back in if something comes up
that they should attend to.

DP, we think, will allow small organizations to grow in a way that
currently is not possible. I've already seen, myself, the benefits of
thinking of Jan Kok as my proxy. Quite simply, I can now do things
that I couldn't do before. Among them, I can respond to the Approval
Voting mailing list even though I'm banned there. I simply send my
post to Jan. If he thinks it appropriate for that list, he forwards
it. It's totally legitimate, and it answers the legitimate concerns
of the moderator of that list. If he wants to ban everyone who dares
to transmit something they think relevant to the list, that would be
up to him, wouldn't it?

(And in any case, after I was banned, traffic on the AV list
plummeted. Cause and effect? Well, it wasn't only me who was
repressed or who they attempted to repress. Basically, they tried to
stop discussion of Range Voting, and the response was the formation
of the Range Voting list. Which has *huge* traffic, compared to what
the AV list had in its heyday. Much of it *very* relevant to
Approval, specifically.

In fact, the general sense on the RV list, though we haven't polled,
is that AV is a very good first step, the simplest and most
cost-effective reform on the table. We have some chance of actually
seeing political consequences to this. And there is a good level of
consent to this from Condorcet advocates. It will whet the appetite,
we think. People will then want the ability to rank (moving in the
Condorcet direction) or rate in more detail (going in the Range direction).