[EM] L1 distance, Condorcet, etc [Ossipoff]

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Wed Feb 21 04:29:42 PST 2007

Dear Scott,

what you are searching for is, I think, the so-called "spacial median".
The spacial median of a sample of points (in our case the voters' positions) is defined as a point where the sum of all the distances from this point to a sample point is minimal. This kind of median depends on the choice of a distance function and it is not always unique.

Also, it is not something which you can get with linear algebra. With linear algebra, you can only find the mean (which is the point where the sum of all the *squared* distances from this point to a sample point is minimal).

Yours, Jobst