[EM] Dave reply. ARLO and power-truncation.

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Feb 18 18:33:48 PST 2007

I agree with much, but differ as to truncation

Given acceptable candidates A and B, plus equally unacceptable rejects C
and D:

If A and B are equally acceptable:
      Approval can say this.
      Also Condorcet:  A=B  - which gets remembered as A=B, A>C, A>D, B>C,
B>D.

There can be debate as to remembering A=B.  For each 2 such votes I would
count as if there was 1 each of A>B and B>A.

If I PREFERRED A, I Need Condorcet to say so:
      A>B - which gets remembered as A>B, A>C, A>D, B>C, B>D.

All the above assumes normal truncation permitted.  Truncation variations:

      Prohibited:  Flip a coin and add >C>D or >C<D or >C=D - which
affects C vs D, but not the fact that I prefer A or B.
      Power truncation:  As I read Michael's words, it would get
remembered as C>D and D>C - does not look useful.
      ARLO?  Seems complicated beyond believable value, so I am tempted to
attack.  Think of an election for governor.  Why should we not expect some
Republicans to place all non-Republicans below the line, and some
Democrats to respond in kind?

DWK

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:57:02 +0000 Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> [...]
>
> ARLO uses up to 3 counts.
>
> If you indicate that you want to use ARLO at a certain point in your
> ranking (In an EM poll you’d do that by writing ARLO at that point in
> the ranking), then your ballot truncates (power truncates, if power
> truncation is allowed--and it should be allowed) every candidate below
> ARLO. The candidates above ARLO are left in the order in which you
> ranked them.
>
> If, in the 1st count, a candidate below at least one voter’s  ARLO line
> wins, then there will be a 2nd count.
>
> If, in the 2nd count, a candidate below at least one voter’s ARLO line
> wins, there will be a 3rd count.
>
> If a below-line candidate wins at least one of the first two counts,
> then your ballot promotes all the above-line candidates to equal 1st
> place, and they stay there.
>
> If there’s a 2nd count, and it is won by  a below-line candidate, then
> your ballot un-truncates the below line candidates, and they’re treated
> as any ranking would treat them, according to where you have them
> ranked. In other words, they’re restored to where you’ve ranked them,
> instead of being truncated or power-truncated.
>
> An example of a ballot with ARLO:
>
> 1. Ralph Nader
> 2. Peter Camejo
> ARLO
> 3. Dennis Kucinich
> 4. Barak Obama
> 5. Hillary Clinton
> 6. John McCain
>
> If you don’t want to restore the below-ARLO candidates in the event that
> a below-ARLO candidate wins, then that can be achieved by
> unconditionally power-truncating the below-ARLO candidates. Obviously
> then there’s no need to rank them:
>
> 1. Ralph Nader
> 2. Peter Camejo
> ARLO
> PT
>
> But maybe you’d like to unconditionally power-truncate some, but not
> all, of the below ARLO candidates. That too can be easily done by how
> you place PT:
>
> 1. Ralph Nader
> 2. Peter Camejo
> ARLO
> 3. Dennis Kucinich
> PT
> Of course you could rank the below-PT candidates if you wanted to, but
> there’s no reason to.
>
> You don’t want a Republocrat, but if it appears that one is going to
> win, then you want to try to make it Kucinich.
>
> I re-emphasize that it would be very unlikely for power truncation or
> ARLO to actually be needed in an SSD, CSSD or BeatpathWinner election.
> But it’s a way to make a statement,
>
> Oh now look what I’ve gone and done! I’ve revealed how I’d vote in a
> Condorcet election between those candidates, if ARLO and PT are
> available, and how I’d vote in an EM presidential poll with those
> candidates. There goes the element of surprise. But you haven’t voted
> yet, so there’s still a reason to conduct an EM presidential poll.

                  If you want peace, work for justice.