[EM] RE : Re: RE : Re: A few concluding points about SFC, CC, method choice, etc.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Feb 16 10:26:09 PST 2007

At 11:21 AM 2/16/2007, Kevin Venzke wrote:
>What I mean is, if you create two arbitrary methods, one satisfying
>MF and one not, you should expect the first one to have higher utility.

This is weird, actually. It could be the case that there are one
thousand different election methods, and there is one which generates
maximum utility. I'd guarantee that this method won't satisfy MF in
all elections.

Yes, the statement is true, but it is completely off the point. We
are not comparing "arbitrary methods."

It is obvious that MF has a utility. It is unlikely to choose a truly
bad candidate. But methods which specifically optimize utility are
going to fail MF. That's the point.

Question is, how to optimize utility. MF does not optimize utility,
it can be *far* from that.

Range Ballots, sincere:
51: A, 100      B, 80   C, 0
49: A, 0        B, 80   C, 100

MF winner, A with 51% of the voters favoring A.

Sum of expected utilities: