[EM] Chris's letter revisited

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Fri Feb 16 07:27:32 PST 2007

Pasting from Mike's web page :

Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> So I prefer my own preference-based wordings of my defensive strategy
> criteria. However, I myself have used a votes-only, rank-methods-only
> test for compliance with my criteria: Steve Epplely's Beatpath
> Criterion. Any rank method that meets BC meets all four majority
> defensive strategy criteria (SFC, GSFC,. WDSC, & SDSC). You could say
> that no nonrank method meets BC, or you could say that it's only
> applied to rank methods. But it's a convenient way to test for
> compliance with all the majority defensive strategy criteria. BC's
> wording doesn't make it obvious why it should be met, and so I prefer
> my criteria, as criteria. I use BC as a test.

This "Beatpath Criterion"  is more or less just Schulze(Winning  Votes)
dressed  up  as a criterion.  I  don't think this is very useful because

(a) anybody who insists that a voting method meets this (i.e. the 4
criteria it tests for) has (98%) ended their search for the best voting
method, and

(b) some people like one or some but not all of the 4 criteria, so it is
much better to be able to test for them individually.

Chris Benham