[EM] Condorcet and Participation, Moulin's proof

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Sun Feb 11 09:32:11 PST 2007

Sure, Condorcet fails Participation. And of course it would be better to not
fail Participation. But Partilcipation isn't about a strategy dilemma. It's
about an embarrassment. You know that no method can aviod embarrassments of
some kind or other. You know, that goes back to Kenneth Arrow.

For me, the great strategy guarantees that Condorcet offers far outweigh the
harmless, non-strategy-related embarrassment of Participation-failure.

But I use Partilcipation when comparing Approval to IRV. Some say that's
dishonest, to use Participation when my favorite method, Condorcet, fails
Participation. But it isn't, because, unlike Condorcet, IRV has no redeeming
qualities to outweigh its Participation failure.

Mike