[EM] Asset Voting

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Feb 7 07:53:04 PST 2007

At 07:09 PM 2/6/2007, James Gilmour wrote:
>That of course, is the whole point of STV-PR  -  to give the voters what
>THEY want  -  which may not be what the parties want.  But then,
>elections are for electors.

Right. Asset Voting gives full freedom to the voters, and freedom is
power. Voters can choose to essentially vote for a party by voting
for a party leader or the candidate recommended by the party.

Or they can vote for a collection of party leaders, distributing the
power. This represents trusting the party more than the individual
candidate. Their choice.

Or they can vote for an independent whom they trust.

Asset Voting does not attack the party system. Parties will still be
quite useful for campaigns and the like. But currently, one *must*
have a party endorsement to have a shot at winning, exceptions are
rare. Under Asset, it costs almost nothing to try (compared to
present costs) and it does no damage. If you don't get enough votes,
you simply become an elector in the next stage. You might still get
elected if you can gather votes from other candidates who either were
not elected, or, in multiwinner were elected but have extra votes to
distribute. Being a member of a party might make that easier.

It's been pointed out that an Asset ballot could have ranks that
would be used until and unless they are exhausted, in which case the
vote would revert to the candidate(s) ranked in first place. Once
again, we wee maximum freedom being accorded to voters.

It is maximally simple if it is just plain Fractional Approval Asset
Voting, the ballot is just like a plurality ballot and it does no
harm to vote it that way. But overvotes are also harmless, they
merely distribute the revoting power (the election is then like Approval).

If the ranks are added, it gets a little more complicated. Some
voters might become confused. I'm generally skeptical of the
confusion argument, it is overused, but there is some merit to it.
Even quite intelligent people can get confused by a ballot, maybe
they had something for breakfast that disagreed with them or they are
distracted for some reason. I personally would prefer to *not* have
the ranks, though maybe I might use *one* additional rank. Sometimes.
I just don't know if it is worth it. But if enough people thought it
*was* worth it, i.e., they wanted the power to directly assign
revotes, it could be done.

And this leads me to a new consideration. Asset can be used for
proportional representation with floating, virtual districts; the
result is that the voters know who, exactly, was elected with their
votes. The candidates don't know the individual voters, but they do
know the precincts that elected them and the proportion of the vote
they received in that precinct.

It seems to me that this virtual districting could also be done
automatically with STV. Call it auto-districting. When the election
is done, the votes that elected the candidate are assigned by
precinct, and the precincts amalgamated to form a close match to the
actual quota in total. The remaining votes then go to the next rank down.

This would not be in any way binding on the candidates, for a
candidate could represent the interests of someone who was not a
voter in a precinct that elected the candidate, but it would create
an effective districting in the assembly. I'd think that *most*
winners would have reasonably tight districts if the algorithm were
good. Because it is really only advisory (it has no effect on votes
in the assembly except as the winner chooses to make it so), the
algorithm doesn't have to be perfect.

I prefer the transfer to be done by a human. It creates a chain of
responsibility. The voter knows who got the voter(s) votes and knows
what was done with them. The candidate knows what precincts provided
the votes for his or her election, and, as well, what other
candidates, if any, were involved in gathering those votes.

Would this make candidates beholden to those who elected them?
Certainly it would, in some ways. First of all, shouldn't candidates
be beholden to the voters? I.e., have a sense of responsibility to
them and an understanding that if they violate the trust, they will
lose support. But a candidate who is elected, say, by vote
redistribution by a party leader holding excess votes, can certainly
attempt to directly serve his or her district well enough that next
election, the candidate gets those votes directly. This is one huge
advantage to having precinct assignments. The candidate can directly
communicate with a defined constituency.

Now, a party leader could gum this up by assigning precincts
randomly, so these new winners had scattered constituencies. But if I
saw a leader doing that, I'd consider it a betrayal of trust. The
leader would be making it difficult, not only for the winner created,
but for the voters.

And, again, the district assignment isn't binding on anyone. A member
might decide to serve some different district, primarily, might pass
off remote precincts to another member.

I am a firm believer in democracy, that, given the right conditions
-- and this is crucial -- freedom of thought and action are conducive
to the best decision-making. Under the wrong conditions, too much
power is quite dangerous; the classical distrust of "mob rule" is not
silly. Mob rule, however, typically only comes into being when public
institutions have massively broken down, most commonly through
violent revolution or civil war, but also under some other conditions
as well, such as class or racial divisions exploited by leaders with
the power to inflame mobs. These latter conditions (Ruanda comes to
mind) are facilitated by flawed electoral systems which give
centralized power to party leaders and which encourage factionalism.