[EM] Hay Voting busted

Peter de Blanc peter at spaceandgames.com
Mon Feb 5 17:47:33 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 14:17 -0500, raphfrk at netscape.net wrote:
> The issue of how to sum utility over an entire society is also raised.  How do you relate
> one point of utility between two people.

I think it's arbitrary. Utility functions are an abstraction for
describing agents; if two agents would make the same decision in all
situations, then it makes sense to say that they have the same utility
function. Rescaling a utility function has no effect on the decisions
which would be made by an agent which implements that utility function,
so it's really the same utility function.