[EM] Hay voting bust, busted

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Mon Feb 5 15:37:13 PST 2007

Dear Warren!

I may be a little late in this discussion but I think you were right
when stating something was wrong:

Either way, the expected utility is

Eu = sum_k ( u_k * p_k )

where the probabilities p_k sum up to 1.

The Hay Voting mechanism converts a set of expressed ratings into a set
of probabilities p_k, in a way I don't exactly understand in detail,
but it cannot change the fact that the p_k will have to sum up to 1 in
the end!

Formally, it seems that the question is whether there is a vector of
functions p_1,...,p_n of a vector r_1,...,r_n of ratings such that
p_1+...+p_n = 1 and such that Eu is at least at a local maximum for
r_i := u_i.

Can anyone tell me what exactly the probabilities are supposed to be in
the original Hay Voting suggestion, or at least what other choice of
functions p_i would fulfil the above requirement? Because I was not
able to find such functions withing several hours... At least I guess
they will rather contain logs than square roots!

This is certainly an interesting math exercise, it seems.

Yours, Jobst